What is imitation crab meat made of?

I was sitting here eating some, and I just wanted to know what exactly I was eating?

caitlinsmom1012

Asked by caitlinsmom1012 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Pollock, it is a while fish. Crab flavoring and color are added. It is safe and tastey, enjoy
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:11 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• white*
    navy-wife

• hmmm.... so it is actually a type of fish? That is good to know!!
    caitlinsmom1012

Answer by caitlinsmom1012 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• so weres the crab?? lol. when you see crab "meat" u would think they would throw that in..rather then flavoring.. so weres the imatation lobster? i would try that...
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Pollock is also commonly referred to as Poor mans Lobster. When you bake it and eat it with melted butter it actually does taste like Lobster! When it is used for imation crab meat seasonings and coloring is add to it to make it taste and look more like crab.

MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I couldn't remember the name of the fish....Pollock...(jots down in mental notebook) The orange coloring is from carrots though. That's what I was told anyway.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 6:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2009