Are more women hurt by partners w/

Are more women hurt by partners w/restraining orders against the male partner or are more women able to get on with their lives because the restraining order keeps that partner away from the woman?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't know the stats, but I don't think a restraining order will protect you. Im assuming you are scared of your ex. I would suggest a self defense class and always let someone know where you are going...just watch your surroundings and carry mace. A restraining order is a good idea because it gives them a reason to arrest him if he is following you...but I don't know enough to say if you should get one.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Not all the time It depends on the guy a restraining order some makes the guy even furious if you have a major prob w/ the guy contact the police and keep records.

Anonymous

• The piece of paper isn't going to physically protect you and it often infuriates them. I'm with the one that said to take the self defense classes, carry mace, and if he's had a history of violence, then get the restraining order, but don't expect it to work on everyone. I watch my surroundings all the time as it is (no history of domestic violence) and got me a German Shepherd dog that hopefully will protect me if anyone is trying to hurt me (he can't save me from every case but he might can slow the attacker down some so I can get to a phone etc).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 12:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If you have a PPO (personal protection order) against someone who is stalking or harrassing you, the police can arrest him without a warrant if he violates that order, so I would say, you are better off having one than not having one. But no, it's not like a bullet proof vest, and nothing in this life is guaranteed....
    Anonymous