My son is 21 months old n jus got circumsized on Friday. The doc said take the bandages off sat n we did n now its REALLY bright red. everyone i know says its not supposed to b like that n the doc says they dont give a cream that everyone keeps talking about cuz it will heal faster. Can someone plz explain to me what it should look like and what do for him n his pain??

I have been giving him childrens tylenol n advil for the pain so if he was running a fever not to sure if i would kno. he seems fine playing and whatnot n went to daycare today he just doesnt like to have his diaper changed. We put some vasaline in his diaper to help keep it from getting irritated but now the nurse says dont put anything on it??

mfh0411

Asked by mfh0411 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Health

• There are two ways the procedure can be done. One is with a ring when they are newborn and the ring just falls off basically, or it can be done without a ring. Without a ring is it bright red and tender to the touch. So I am thinking that is normal. You can get petroleum (vaseline) with antibacterial and put it on his penis it will keep it clean and helps some with the healing. Keep him on tylenol for the pain and yes a mild fever is normal. He will be better in a couple days.

Answer by gemgem at 12:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• my son got it done when he was a newborn. it was BRIGHT RED. and bled a litle bit. it sounds fine. :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It is normal to be red. Just think, he just had skin taken off and he pees which aggravates it. It will heal. I would not put anything but neosporin on it. It will heal. He just had it done a couple days ago.
    Anonymous

• contact your dr asap to make sure things are normal talk to a dr and/or nurse and see what they recommend. when in doubt call in.
    Anonymous

• My son was about the same age as yours when he was circumsized. It did take a bit for it to completely heal. It was very red for about a week. We did put neosporin on it for the first 4 days or so and then it was nothing after that. He didn't seem to be in much pain either, but like your son, he didn't want his diaper changed i guess because he thought it was going to hurt. Good luck to you!!
    TWINMOM98

Answer by TWINMOM98 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My son was circ'd as a newborn and they told me not to put anything on it either. He healed pretty quickly. But I would check with your doc.
    chandraj81278

Answer by chandraj81278 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Sounds like everyone else has given you good advice. I am only gonna add that, you as a mother can tell if something is wrong. Follow your instincts and his activity level.
    medicgirl25075

Answer by medicgirl25075 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i had him checked out turns out part of the dressing was stuck in his tip n thats why he was really cranky, other than that doc says he is fine but to jus keep a watch on him n if things dont change by Friday to take him back to his doctor. n she also said that i could put a pullup on him that might be a lil bit more comfortable b/c its not as tight as a diaper! thanks for all ur help!!!
    mfh0411

Answer by mfh0411 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009