Its treathening consider verbal abuse?

JR.MOM

Asked by JR.MOM at 12:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• My ex said that.

I saw a lawyer. I had it all set up. I kept a diary of all of his threats. I kept all of his voice mail messages where he made derogatory comments. I rented an apartment. Then I had divorce papers and custody papers drawn up. He went to work, and I moved out, taking only the necessary items for myself and my son.

He is trying to control you. Please don't let him do that to you.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2011

• Yes, it can be abuse, but not much done about that verbal threat legally to my knowledge. You tell him if he tries to take your child away you will call the police and don't ever leave the house without your son or I believe he can claim abandonment. You might consider seeking the help of an attorney if you are planning to leave and you think he is going to try to interfere and take your child.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:41 PM on Dec. 27, 2011

• What type of threat are we talking about here? If for example your husband is saying things like "if you try to leave me I'll kill you" you need to call the police and get a restraining order. And yes I'd also consider that emotional abuse.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2011

• Depends on if the person receiving the threat has a reasonable belief that it might be carried out.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2011

• Yes.
    Anonymous

• depends on what the threat is....
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 12:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2011

• He told me if I leave him he will take my son away.
    JR.MOM

Comment by JR.MOM (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2011

• yes
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2011

• That is emotional abuse. Make a plan, then get out.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 1:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2011

• All kinds of threats I can think of, in any context or any kind of relationship, are attempts to control another person. Whether it's parent-child, children (siblings or peers), or adults, the strategy is to use force & leverage to get a desired result or prevent something. It's often in response to feeling threatened or attacked, or even just vulnerable (afraid you might leave.)
    The impulse to control another person is intimately related to fear, powerlessness & helplessness. This fearful/defensive root is common to all abuse!
    Abuse happens on a continuum. In the largest sense, it's determined by its effect on a person, not by conforming to a legal definition. There are many kinds of behaviors & interactions that hurt or harm, because they're far enough along on that continuum not to be "optimal" or "nurturing," but they're not anywhere in the realm of being illegal, reportable, or prosecutable offenses.
    Wishing you well!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2011