Did you take antidepressents while pregnant?

Did they lead to any side effects for you baby? If you were to get pregnant again, would you take them during the pregnancy again? And do you beleive it was "worth the risk"?

sunshine82

Asked by sunshine82 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Health

• Yes I took antidepressants with all three of my pregnancies. Yes I would take them again during another pregnancy. Yes I think they were worth any "risk" that could be associated with them. However as far as I'm concerned there were no risks with what I took.

I did however change to pregnancy safe antidepressants and took lower levels of them than normal.

I also took them while breastfeeding.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• One of my friends actually got less depressed while pregnant as her hormone's changed she improved. I have a friend who is severely depressed and he chooses not to have children as he's afraid of passing this disease onto offspring. I've seen all the spectrum and all sides. I think you should be prepared to have a baby that is healthy but also be prepared for anything that may happen not every baby is perfect and not every couple thinks about that before becoming pregnant. There is no guarantee that everything is perfect. 
    Anonymous

• I don't believe it's worth the risk to take the drugs and I would not do it personally. If you are currently under the care of a psychiatrist they really need to be consulted. The psychiatrist and your obgyn should be consulted hand in hand. I think there is valuable evidence for either point that it's safe and/or that it's dangerous or has unknown risks. When in doubt stick as close to nature. Mother nature knows best. I would consult a Naturopathic Dr. to find out if there is something safe to take while pregnant.
    Anonymous

• in my opinion... i wouldnt take any medicine AT ALL, when pregnant.

the risk of all this chemical crap is just way too high.

and yes, i know that some kind of depressions requier the use of some medication. but there will be different ways to treat them
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have been on Effexor XR for over 5 years, and when I got pregnant with my daughter my doctors decided it was too risky to take me off of it, since depression can cause miscarriages and pre-term labor. I stayed on it the entire time I was pregnant. My now 19-month old daughter is prefectly healthy and happy. I'm pregnant again, and my doctors are keeping me on the Effexor again. I'm fine with my decision. I would probably be suicidal again without it, quite honestly. Good luck. Don't let ANYONE judge you. Some drugs are riskier than others. My doctors said that the chance of having a baby with birth defects because of Effexor is the same rate as having a baby with birth defects WITHOUT being on the drug. Every drug is different. Work with your doctors, and again, don't let anyone judge you. Your mental well-being is crucial to your pregnancy.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 1:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I've taken anti-depressants while pregnant and had no problems. With my first daughter I took them the whole time. With my second I did not take them at all because I was in a better place in my life when I got pregnant and hadn't been on them for a while. I was taking them with my 3rd baby and stayed on them while pregnant. The doctor had me ween off of them toward the end of pregnancy because he said new research suggested that the babies can have some withdrawal symptoms after birth, but I don't know if that is true or not. All of my children are healthy and happy.
    mommyonetheedge

Answer by mommyonetheedge at 2:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Yes. I have 3 beautiful, beautiful children. My oldest daughter is 12 and a half. I was so depressed I didn't even know I was pregnant. I was on Zoloft. She is so wonderful. I have 2 more kids and I really can't remember if I was on Zoloft. I was married to a nasty alcoholic drug user. Once doctor asked me why I wasn't using birth control if I was on antidepressants. Later I got midwives and one said that was a very inappropriate thing to say, and that it was a very very low risk pregnancy. Another psychiatrist told me the womb is an environment. The baby needs the mom to be happy.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2009