I am getting ready to homeschool for kidergarden and I am choosing Winter Promise. Has anyone used this program before and if you have, what do you think if it?

I picked Journey to Imagination out of the program and I have picked the laungage arts that I want to do but am still trying to decide about the math. I haven't bought it yet though, so I would love some feedback on it

Alaska_Moma

Asked by Alaska_Moma at 12:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't have experience with them... but if you haven't already, you may want to ask in the Happy Homeschoolers group.

You could also check the Yahoo groups "AHomeschoolReview" :
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Not to sound ugly but are you really ready to teach children when you can't even spell Kindergarten correctly?

Try this site:
    http://www.k12.com/dg/banner_k12_b.html?se=yahoo&campaign=National_K12_Top_Performers_Job_926&adgroup=TP_Home_School&kw=home_school_curriculum&gclid=[gclid]
    Anonymous

• Oh anon, you're so perfect. I envy you.

All hail the anon person that never makes mistakes!!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I am almost certain she will be better at teaching her child better social skills than apparently anon's mother was.

Since an alarming number of public school kids graduate without knowing how to read, she is still ahead of the game!

Are you sure you need to spend so much money? If it makes you feel better, then go ahead. I am just saying, you can do it all for free. Look up all the groups on cafemom and other sites before you make your decision. Whatever you decide, enjoy your new adventure!

Butterflybabies

Answer by Butterflybabies at 2:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Well thank you for the person who asked "am I even ready to teach because I can't spell" I am very aware that I am a horrible speller. Have been my WHOLE life! LOL The beauty about homeschooling my children is that I get to go back to school starting in...how do you spell it agian..oh yes Kindergarten. I was never taught how to read, write, or spell correctly. Thanks to spell check and other computer programs, I was able to get by, and I do not want the same for my children. As they learn I am going to re-learn. On the other hand there is a lot going on with my needing to homeschool, aside from the fact that I want to. Please don't be judgemental. It will be a win-win situation. I want to thank you for pointing out my mistake, and making me feel inadequate.
    Alaska_Moma

Answer by Alaska_Moma at 3:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I looked into winter promise and liked it but my first year we spent so much for curriculum that I knew it wasn't the best plan. With my kids I've found that a mix of sorts works best. My son is not old enough for Kind. but I'm starting him now. I'm using Five in a Row for the times when he wants to 'do school' and Horizons for math. I'm using the book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons for reading. Aside from that I don't plan to do anything formal for quite a while.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2009