Head Lice

I was wondering if any of you ladies have dealt with it and what was the easiest way to get rid of it? I have used RID and stuff and I've picked nits until I'm blue in the face. I keep looking and there is nothing and then I don't for a day and then when I do again there they are. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes my dd got them from a little girl when she was in 3rd gr. It was so annoying bc the mom of the child never got rid of them correctly and kept reinfecting everyone lol. Here is what you have to do, its alot but will work. Use the RID on childs hair and everyone elses. Throw away brushes and combs. Wash all bedding in the house on hot water and with bleach when you can. Wash all the towels. Put stuffed animals in a plastic bag for about 4 weeks sealed. If you can put them outside in the sun a day thats even better. Steam clean your carpets & upholstery. Throw away the pillows and get new ones. And then redo hair with RID one week later. Also dont forget to clean the car etc.

Answer by gemgem at 12:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• GemGem is absolutely right.........clean clean and clean again. The bedding has to be washed Every single day. Pillows ran threw a dryer on high for at least an hour (put a tennis ball or clean tennis shoe in with them to keep them from getting lumpy. Stuffed animals.....bagged up for at least a month and then throw in the dryer just to be sure.  Wash every day towels, coats, hats. Vacum your furniture and mattress every day. Do you have prescription coverage? If so, call your doctor and have them call in a precription for lice shampoo. Its cheaper then buying it. Dont forget to vacum the car!  Add tea tree oil to your shampoo.  Lice doesnt like it. 

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Yes treat with RID then clean clean clean also the best trick I found put baby oil in there hair for 2 weeks or so after the treatments Lice cannot breathe in that stuff. they may look a little greesy, but it works great no re-infestation and it makes your hair soft unlike the treatments that wreck your hair when used to many times.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 1:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Also remember that lice hate "dirty" hair so always send her to school with hairspay or gel in her hair!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• The best I have to offer its called=LICEFREE= it is a jell and it smells just like black jellybeans.One box has two tubes a hair covering and the large comb,its $20 and yes wash bedding inHOT HOT water,let it soak for about a half hour,dryer on high heat and after the treatment run the small lice comb thru the hail daily till you see no more.My son has braught it from school and I,m right on it that minute when I get the report that lice is running rapid in school, I get so mad when it lazy parents that dont take care of it,theres no excuse. I baught the jell at RITE-AIDE,OH YEAH,you have to leave it in the hair with the head cover that comes with it for an hour, it dont hurt their scalp.I hope this helps.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 15, 2009