how do you entertain a newborn?

my son is 3 weeks old and always seems bored, how can I entertain him so he wont cry so much?

CJ121808

Asked by CJ121808 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Newborns don't need much to be entertained. You can just carry them around, talk to them with your face close to theirs, sing, etc. Sometimes I wasn't sure what exactly to say to my first(I'm not a baby talk kinda person) so I'd just read from a book or tell my son everything I was doing. He'd just sit and listen.
    If your baby is crying a lot, try putting him in a carrier and carrying him around for a while. They usually like that.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Honey, you can entertain them by holding them. If he is crying alot mabey he has colic. Have you talked with a doctor?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• They are entertained by holding them, singing to them, talking to them, paying attention to them. You should pick up some parenting books or books on early childhood development. If you have these questions at 3 weeks now is the time to educate yourself on the joys of babyhood.

Answer by gemgem at 12:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Babies this age are SO easily amused! :>

I would sit on the couch/bed with my knees up and lay my daughters on my thighs facing me.

We spent many hours singing (I'll never forget when outspoken kid #2 got old enough to say: "Do you think you sing good, Mommy???" with a smirk on her face!) I would talk about anything and everything, we would look around the room and make observations, look in a mirror, etc. Babies are endlessly fascinated by the most basic of things in their world!

If they were in their infant carrier/seat while I was busy doing things, I would keep a conversation (one-sided, of course!)going pretty much non-stop.

Both girls have grown up to be very literate-big readers, good singers and writers-and my husband and I tend to think all of this verbal interaction helped strengthen these tendencies!
    Anonymous