Weird question

I wondered if any other moms out there think about how they would handle finding out that someone was physically harming their children.

When I watch the news at least once a week they show a baby being abused by a daycare provider or a nanny.

After watching these videos I become obsessed with how I would maim, torture and ultimately kill the person that I caught doing this to my children. I think about it from the time I open my eyes until I shut my eyes...

There is no reason for me to think about because there is no person in my children's life that would do anything to hurt them. I have never hired a babysitter to watch them, my parents always watch them...and when they do it's only for a few hours. They don't spend the night anywhere...with anyone...for any reason. If I have an emergency, I make arrangements for my husband to leave work. Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• YEP, I am the same exact way. I am a sahm, so my daughter is always with me. The only other person that she has been watched by is my sil (who is also the legal guardian in the event something happens to me and her dad)and my mom has watched her too. Only for 2 hours tops though. She has never stayed the night away from us either. Some people try and tell me this is unhealthy, but if hubby and I enjoy being with our daughter that is our prerogative. You are completely normal. :)
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 1:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Yes it is. I feel that way all the time. I am a sahm and never leave my kids with anyone but their 1 set of grandparents that we trust. But you still have that in the back of your mind you never know what could happen. Someone could come into your home during the day while yourhusband was at work, somecone could take them in the middle of the night. When they get in school someone could hurt them. there are a miollion things that could happen to your child and yo ucan obcess about what you would do if you found out. But you cant live in fear or think about that stuff all the time. My son goes to school next year and I'm scared to DEATH!! but we have to let go and trust that there really are good people in this world...and ALOT of em!!!
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I am scared when school starts, too. :( I try not to think about it.
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 1:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Alright...this was my question but I felt like a lunatic so I posted it anonymously. Thank god I'm not the only one out there. Thanks, moms, for your honest answers. I was seriously considering therapy. Luckily my family in law is in CA, because I would NEVER leave any of the kids with them. They are all great people..they all have kids too...I just don't trust ANYone. I barely let them stay with my own mother and I trust her with my life....I'm not normal!!! LOL.
    lrobles1983

Answer by lrobles1983 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Yeah, we all go through it and my mom says she still worries about me! So it never ends, but you need to get a handle on it so you don't suffocate the kids (not literally!) There are time when they need to go away--to a school or to a friends house, etc. So try to not let it become an obsession and ruin yours and their lives. As they get older and can tell you things or fight back it gets easier, trust me. :-)
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 4:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I have done the same thing when I've seen where a child has been hurt. I think about how I would handle it and how I would hurt that person, but then think about my other two children, and then think of devious ways to hurt the person without being caught - lol. I have only left my kids with my mom, and a friend who babysits for a few hours. I watched a 2 year old being physically hit and pushed down on the news the other night and after watching them re-run it a few times, I was so hyped up, I could have beaten that father if I had the chance. I think our protective feeling are magnified for our children because of our intense love for them. Just don't let yourself get lost in it, give yourself a set time to think about it and get all your worries out, then get on with thinking or doing something else.
    tripsmom1

Answer by tripsmom1 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Its just your fighting maternal instinct kicking in. But if you feel its wrong, go talk to someone. It cant hurt.
    briyeti

Answer by briyeti at 2:34 AM on Jul. 19, 2008