Do you live in an Attached House/Duplex?

My husband and I are looking for a house and there are some very nice attached homes in town but we're not sure we want to live so close to someone else.
I thought it might help to hear from people that live that way.

Would you buy a duplex?

rgh3angel

Asked by rgh3angel at 12:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I wouldn't buy one. I rent a duplex now and love it here, but at the same time my neighbor annoys the hell out of me. As thick as the walls are (thick enough you can't hear day to day sounds) he has parties on Saturday nights that are loud. Because of the way the duplexes are built, living rooms are at the back, and bedrooms are on either far wall, so our living areas share a wall. Nothing can be heard from outside in the front, so calling the cops isn't an option. Other than this one small grief, things are pretty fine. At the same time, I wouldn't want to be stuck with ownership in case I had really bad neighbors. If things were to get worse, I could always move.

When the time does come for me to buy a house, I wouldn't even consider a duplex or condo.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I live in a duplex... we are attatched by the garage, so the walls we share don't really effect our neighbors!!! I would say look for something like that. We share the FAR WALL of our garage.... it's handy!!!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 5:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I live in a duplex townhome and I would have to say that I don't really hear the neighbors all that much..they are the quieter sort, but still, I like it..I guess as long as you have great neighbors, its fine
    thomasfam14

Answer by thomasfam14 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It really depends.. attached homes all depend on the neighbors you get and which wall connects you to them. Also, check out those HOA fees. Im house shopping right now too so Ive looked at some too. good luck.

calilove12

Answer by calilove12 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• No I wouldn't prefer to buy one just if that person smokes, or makes a lot of noises I will hear it. I would hate to own something that is attached to another persons property.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:24 AM on Jan. 16, 2009