Has anyone or would anyone ever use a babysitting referral service that you've found online?

I've found one and it's free to have an membership but in order to contact said babysitter, you have to pay the upgrade account fee of $29.95. Without any family nearby , I need the help but feel a little apprehensive about this.

Rage-of-Angels

Asked by Rage-of-Angels at 1:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• Do you have any friends, coworkers that you trust their opinion on? I would ask around and see if someone you know could recommend a babysitter before I would go on the internet. That is just me....good luck!!!!
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 1:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Hence the apprehension. The only friend of mine that has kids is a full time stay at home mom and if she needs a sitter she calls on her family. With mine all being on the east coast and not being on good terms with my in laws I'm not sure where else to turn at the moment.
    Rage-of-Angels

Answer by Rage-of-Angels at 2:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Don't do it. Don't trust anyone. Too many babies die because of abusers.
    Anonymous

• Gosh, I don't know. I don't wanna give you an answer cause I just don't have one. I'm not sure what I would do in that situation.
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 3:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• As a former nanny, I say go for it. But use a service that does a background check, and shows you proof that they have done this. You won't just hire whomever they send you. They will talk to you about the canidates they think fit your needs, then you will interview those people yourself and decide who you want. Go with your gut when you interview. If you get a bad vibe, don't hire the person. I am proud to say I was an AWESOME nanny and I know a ton of awesome nannies/babysitters (well most of them are mommies now). You only see the bad ones on the news because there is nothing exciting or rating catching about a good nanny or babysitter. If you need any more advice from a former nanny and babysitter feel free to PM me.
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 3:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I've seen tons of news stories about nannies who were hired at nanny services, had tons of background checks...references that spoke glowingly of their nanny...and then they shake a baby and kill it. Don't do it. People are crazy. Get a nanny cam. Monitor every room in your house.
    Anonymous

• There are more stories on the news about parents who abuse their children, does that mean that all parents are bad?
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 5:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• of course not. as you said (HadassasMommy)the news likes to report negativity. almost as if they are trying to scare us into submission.. eh I don't know.. This situation is tough I just thank you for taking the time out to try and help find the answers I need. I hate being unable to drive and everything that ensues.
    Rage-of-Angels

Answer by Rage-of-Angels at 3:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Is it Care.com? This is so retarded I did the same thing I put an ad my email address and my phone # I had caregivers call me and send me messages with there numbers but I cannot see the phone # unless I upgrade but I ain't. So I put an ad on Craiglist and had about twenty peopl call me and a few emails, I interveiwed with a few caregivers and found one but I am still in a trial mode to see if my daughter is happy with her. Its free and easy.
    Heaven0802

Answer by Heaven0802 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2008