What to do for baby's first birthday

I want it to be fun for him, so I don't plan on inviting a whole lot of people. I am going to make him an organic egg-free cake (could use some recipes also) and give him a few presents to open. Besides this, I'm not sure what else to do. What did you do for your baby's first birthday?

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• On her birthday day, it was just us 3. DH was leaving for basic the next day so we went to build a bear and made a special bear for her and had a nice dinner.

Then the sat after he left we had a sesame street themed party, a small one, it was fun.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• For my little man's first birthday we went to the mall and had pictures taken, then we ate a meal specially prepared by my mother.... she made him his own little cake that he loved so much he tried eating the plate when he was done. Only my immediate family and husband was there, but it was nice.
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 12:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• The first birthday is more for the parents and guests then for the baby. For all three of mine we rented a hall, had it catered, and hired a magician, clown, and magician respectively.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We had our parents and siblings for the twins first birthday. I had folks arrive just before lunch time. We ate, opened gifts, stripped 'em down for cake, gave them a bath and put them down for their p.m. nap.
    As a previous mom noted, the party is more for the adults than the kids. Kids don't really know what's going on at that age.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We rented a pavillion at the park. (It was early October, so the weather was beautiful) I invited some of my friends who have kids, along with family and other friends. Since it was at the park, we didnt have to worry about activities for the other kids. They could play or eat, etc. Just dont make the party too long and dont schedule it during nap time.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• it is his first he will not remeber i say cake ice cream presents pics to show latter.
    madcat500

Answer by madcat500 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• The kids will deffinatly have fun! I was lucky enough to have alot of friends with kids close to the same age some kids were a bit older but thats ok! I put out food that she could eat, like the finger stuff, colorful fish crackers, finger PB sandwiches(basically all her favorites). Balloons! and they dont have to have helium because you want them on the floor anyway for the small kids to play with, go get a kids CD, They have disney songs and even some TV programs songs like Dora and Sesame Street.(just ideas dont know what they are into). My youngest was into the baby einsteins so I made a cake that looked like the little caterpiller and gave only her a Birthday girl hat. The other kids got the traditional party hat(even some adults wore them) Make it special not just for your baby but for you too and memories!
    MeganLSBartz

Answer by MeganLSBartz at 3:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We just had his first Birthday party. We invited people our baby was familiar with mostly. My aunt and uncle hubby and mines grandparents and parents and sisters a couple of my cousins came as well. We did it at home. I ordered a spongebob cake and a small cake with yellow frosting for him. my baby says spongebob he always looked at a calender that we had of spongebob LOL No he doesnt watch tv yet. I made a big bunch of homemaid baked mac and cheese (baby friendly) and the adults loved it too. I got a veggie platter some chocolate chip cookies cheese and crackers drinks everyone had a blast and my baby was comfortable and happy all day it turned out very well. He even opened his own gifts after my 7yo son showed him how.
    Its so exiting you baby turning one just dont stress have a good time:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2009