When did you start mixing cereal with milk for your baby?

I am just curious. My baby is only 13 days old, and I am not seriously considering it. But I have heard of people mixing cereal into breastmilk as early as 2 wks to get their baby to sleep through the night, and I am just curious when did YOU start feeding your baby cereal?

This is a hypothetical question, btw.

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 12:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did it at 2 weeks but not to make her sleep through the night, she spit up A LOT and that helped keep it down. Her dr is the one that advise that. But my mom always said that she put it in all her kids bottles from the time they came home from the hospital to help them sleep and it worked. And that dr.s reccommended it that way 20 some years ago, and what has changed that much since then? Because i and all my sisters turned out just fine! So when ever you want to do it! just remember you are mom and you know your baby best! and dont let anyone tell you your a bad mom if you put it in their bottle or feed food before 6 months! every baby is different!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 1:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i tried it when she was like two months old she didn't like the cereal that you mix with formula so at like three months i started the jarred cereal and she loved it. when my oldest daughter was a baby i think she was on cereal at like three or four weeks. and did really well with it
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• you are not suppose to feed cereal before your baby is 4months old

even after that i would never mix it with the breast- and/or formula milk. makes no sense at all. because you should feed cereals with the spoon.. its the first stage of bringing your child to solids ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We just started it this week and he is 4 months old.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• you can mix it with breastmilk of formula in a bowl and feed it to them with a spoon.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• When they were old enough to take it with a spoon.
    Anonymous

• By spoon after she was 6 months old. Never put it in a bottle, unless ordered for reflux, and even then it can be dangerous etc.

It wont help sleep through the night, well it could but it's not proven and it's either hit or miss.

With breastfeeding a baby shouldn't get solids until after 6 months, when their "open gut" closes so the baby can get all the antibodies it can from mother.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• 6 months!! no earlier!!!
    Anonymous

• 13 days old? Wow.. try 6 months!
    Anonymous

• addition to before...cereal is to be the introduction to the spoon, but they dont get it confused! Like I said my daughter was on it at 2 weeks and the dr told me to do it, and when i started to feed her with a spoon she became a pro right away, and she still get cereal in her night bottle! again, all babies are different so what worked for me may not for you, and what worked for others who didnt do it at all or waited will never know if it will effect your child! Good luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 1:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009