What can or can't I bring on a plane for my 4 month old?

My friend told me you can bring pretty much anything (within reason, not explosives haha) if you say its for the baby. Ex: snacks, water bottles for formula, etc. Is this true? Because I know you aren't allowed to bring water or even toothpaste on a plane but I need water for formula!!! Please help thanks! I leave on my flight this Wednesday...

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 12:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Travel

• We traveled recently and we took ready to feed formula with us. I was told I could bring formula but I didn't know It would set us back like half hour while they ran tests to see if the liquid was explosive. It's a good thing we were early or we would have missed our plane! Next time id take powdered formula & do the mixing on the plane. Ask a flight attendant for boiled water they use for coffee/tea a half hr before its time for your baby can drink so it can cool down. Good luck ;)

Pm me if you have any other ?'s
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• depends on the airline. but i was NOT allowed to bring water or anything for my DD.

i was allowed to bring the formula (only the powder). you will get water on the plane. they will take everything away at the check-in.. no matter if u need it for your baby or not.

had to go through this already and i was pissed. because i had special baby water for my baby. but safety first. and thats why i just had to deal with the water they gave me on the plane :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Also, If you feel unsure about your baby drinking that water from the flight attendants. You can buy botled water and take it on board from a store in the airport.
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You can bring what you need reasonable for your trip. If you are taking a 4 hour flight, don't expect to bring enough water to mix formula for a day.

Go to tsa.gov and print the traveling with infant regs and show them at security checkpoints so you don't get your water confinscated.

Travel with the small bottles of baby water makes things easier. Seeing a baby on the label and the word "baby water" or "kid water" helped me on many occassions when a screener wanted to take my water.

According to the TSA regs, you DO NOT have to use the water on the plane. You can bring formula already mixed as well. Jars of baby food are ok. Snacks are ok as well.

Just carry that printout with you and you'll alleviate a bunch of headaches!
    Ajima

Answer by Ajima at 2:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I brought powdered formula for my kids... and just ask for warm water. You don't need to get the boiled water, they'll mix the really hott with some cold and get you some warm water. Most airlines are willing to work with you to keep your kid happy and not bothering the other passengers.

I was also able to bring sippie cups of water on the plane with me. They didn't make a big deal out of it- if my kid is drinking it, it's probably not gonna kill anyone.... lol. But every TSA officer is different. Some are more willing to work with you then others.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 4:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Yes, you can if it is for the baby. Go to TSA and print out the guidelines in case they give you a hard time. Have the certain sections highlighted and hand them a copy of their rules! This will shut them up really quick, trust me my sister did it.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I agree with JD08. You are allowed to bring sealed bottled water for baby formula. Snacks are fine and medications for babies are excluded from the 3 oz and 1 quart bag limit. Keep the formula in the original containers. The single serve powder formula is great if you can find it.
    I have had issues before and I was flying 15 hrs with 2 kids under 2.
    I didn't have the guidelines but had read them and I asked them to show me where it stated I couldn't bring it and they couldn't and they let us through. They even had a go because our toiletries weren't in brand name bottles. I think they get a kick out of taking things away.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 12:19 AM on Jan. 13, 2009