How do you get a hermit crab out of its shell?

We're in Florida and I have found some really nice shells, but they have hermit crabs in them!! I don't want to kill the crabs, but would really like the shell, any advice?

Babs310

Asked by Babs310 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Pets

• Its not very good to take a hermit crab out of its shell, it could kill them they need there shell to survive sorry about your luck
    crystal_ashton

Answer by crystal_ashton at 1:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• You don't! Why don't you just keep the hermit crab as a pet (very low maintainence). It won't live forever, then once it dies you can keep the shell.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 1:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Hun, taking them out of their shells will kill them. If you want the shells, keep the crabs as pets until they switch shells on their own. they are cheap and easy to maintain. Just make sure you have a good variety of shells for them to want to switch to. Where in Florida do you live? I always looked for crabs but only found shells, lol. But it wasn't exactly the right time of year when I lived there. So, I would say just keep them as a pet, or let them go, but don't try to remove them from their shells. They will actually let their bodies be torn in half to keep their homes!
    21noahsmama21

Answer by 21noahsmama21 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• BTW-As for them not living forever, they can live a LONG time, lol!
    21noahsmama21

• Oh just go buy shells!!!! If you do take them as pets, but them some shells that are bigger than the ones they are in now. Also look up some information about caring for them as pets. No use in killing a living creature because you want a pretty shell. You would just feel guilty everytime you saw the shell.
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 3:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• A hermit crab in his shell...Are we talking Husbands or Pets. LOL
    It will kill the crab as that is a part of them. There are soo many souvenir shops and they sell shells so cheap...just go buy some and put Mr. Crab in an aquarium.LOL take care!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Keep them as pets. Get empty (bigger) shells and when they grow out of the smaller ones, they'll move into the larger shells.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:04 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• i agree with everyone keep them as pets and when the grow out the shells you can keep them. i have 3 hermit crabs and we had them now for about 2 months
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I had several while I was in school. Everyone is right, you will kill it if you take it out. Yes, getting a bigger one will encourage it to come out and switch, but it should only be slightly bigger. Too big; it's a waste. So, since you are buying a shell anyway...Why not just buy a decorative shell for yourself.
    drdarcmom

Answer by drdarcmom at 10:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Yea, hermit crabs, if taken care of properly, can live like 20 years!!
    sassy_momma

Answer by sassy_momma at 7:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2009