How to get them to sit still for a nebulizer treatment?

My son gets 2 a day with a mask I have to hold on because of the type of med. The mask doesn't have holes so no strap. I put on his fav movie get toys and its a struggle everytime now. I try to do it when his sleepy now but any other ideals would be great.

Ianmommy4

Asked by Ianmommy4 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My put my daughter in the high chair so she can't really get away then hold the mask over her face. What I've found works best is if you use the adult attachment where the mist pour out, just aim that up under the nose and even if she moves, I can just move with her. She doesn't mind it as much as having the mask on her face, touching her. She also likes it much better when she's really sick and than when she's getting better. It's like she knows she doesn't really need that much of a treatment any more so starts fighting it. Also, is there a way to add some small holes? Maybe push a safety pin through so you can add a strap? Good luck!
    Anonymous

• My three month old had been on nebulizers until early elementary school. She hated the mask so I'd just sit w/o getting fussy myself and just hold the hose and keep it about chin level pointing it up toward her nostrils. That's what our resp. therapist said to do. It's frustrating I know. Is there a song or sound like ocean water or rain water that might help her quiet down for treatments?
    Anonymous

• Try a wide ribbon or wide piece of cloth- wrap it over the mask and tie around the back of his head. When he's sleepy is a great idea! Perhaps you can play games with him- the put the shape through the holes in the box toy, puzzles. I could be a good time to start him on numbers and colors and body parts. Show him a picture and say point to the head, point to the foot, point to the red ball, point to the nose, where are there two flowers, and so forth. Coloring. modeling clay. There is a great toy that has different closures on it- a snap, a zipper, a button, a tie, velcro- that would be fun. Or "where is" games- show him a picture and say where is the horse, where is the stone. Read books in an animated voice.

Answer by Bmat at 1:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have always used the adult mouth piece and just sat them on my lap and held there... they sometimes would take it from me and hold it infront of themselves or me... I was told by my dr. ( I am a Asthamic lifer) that as long as they are breathing it in it doesn't matter how much is lost... they still get the same effect...
    The mask can cause alot of fear in a child ... I would also read a book while they were on my lap or tell them a story or we would watch a little tv (movie) or something... something that they like that wil keep them calm...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Hold the mask or mouth piece near their face as they are sleeping... just get yourself a good chair to sit on...lol... can cause back aches...lol... but it works like a charm....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It doesn't have to be ON their face, just near it. So keep that in mind.

When starting the movie, tell him he can watch the movie as long as he keeps breathing his medicine. If he fights the mask, turn off the movie. Keep him on your lap and tell him that you will start the movie as soon as he breathes his medicine. Should only take a few times...maybe? Hopefully?

My son (2 year old with asthma...pulmacort twice a day) likes to bring his doodle pad up onto my lap. We'll draw pictures, or shapes (he's obsessed with shapes)

We've been using a nebulizer since about November...I can now start it up and hand it to him. He'll sit and hold it himself while I putter with folding the laundry or something...it's just a matter of getting them used to it...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Don't use the mask. The drs tell you to use the adult piece now just hold it right under their chin.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Oh, by the way...he will sit and hold it himself now, but he HATES having that mask strapped on his head!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• This isn't for albutral this medacine is pulimcort. It can't get in his eyes thats why the mask doesn't have holes. it has a valve that lets out a littile on the side
    Ianmommy4

Answer by Ianmommy4 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• my dd had RSV last year and we just had to hold the mask in front of her face.We had to do it 4 x's a day also..Thats what our ped and pharmacist said..
    Lindasmama

Answer by Lindasmama at 11:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009