Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I go about applying for Social Security for my almost 5 year old son? I am in the state of Texas

Hi, Im living in Texas and my son has a speach problem. He is therapy twice a week for about half an hour each time. He is ok in other areas I believe. He is a healthy active lil boy. I was wondering if anyone could help me and tell me how to go about getting social securtiy for him. The therapst told me that I could get social security for him, but she did not tell me how to go about it. So any help will really help. I have the information that the therapist gave me when she told me that he did not pass the evualation that they gave him and that they reccomend speach therapy. So please help me if you can.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Answers (6)
  • You can not social security for him. Only if he has a diability that keeps him from functioning. You can posibly get medicade for him. Talk to those at the Department of Health.

    Answer by tichelle at 1:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • My child is hearing impaired with a spech probem and she can't get SSI so just to let you know you will have to fill out a million forms and at the end they will tell you he does not qualify. He will grow out of his speech problem with therapy. And people wonder why they will never see a cent of the SSI they pay every year because people who use the system to get money anyway they can.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • If he has a diagnosis of something, and that disorder or disease is going to keep him from functioning as a part of society, he can receive social security. But for a speech delay? I don't think so.

    I have one son receiving OT for severe delay in fine motor skills. Not eligible.
    I have one son receiving OT for moderate delay in fine motor skills and ST for a moderate delay in speech. Not eligible.
    I have one son receiving speech therapy for a severe delay in speech. Not eligible. oldest is suspect for Asperger's and my second suspect for PDD-NOS. If either of them were to receive an official diagnosis, they MIGHT be eligible.

    But just for a speech delay?

    Give it a shot, contact your local social security office, go online and read up.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • should give you the answers you need

    Answer by bi-polarmommy at 3:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • My son is 12 and has a speech problem and does not get SS. I believe SS is for helping someone with a life affecting disability or when a parent or caregiver dies.

    Answer by pagirl71 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • That isnt an underlying disability, he will fortunately out grow this! I would just save yourself the time and hassel, because I am quite positive that they wouldn't give it to him just because of a speech delay! My daughter is on SSI and she qualified because she has many debilitating disabilities. She has been working with occupational therapy,and speech therapy since she was 10 months old, and that alone would never make her qualify for SSI. Their has to be an underlying cause for the delays. But do it if you know that you will for sure get it! Good luck

    Answer by ali_1107 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.