How do I go about applying for Social Security for my almost 5 year old son? I am in the state of Texas

Hi, Im living in Texas and my son has a speach problem. He is therapy twice a week for about half an hour each time. He is ok in other areas I believe. He is a healthy active lil boy. I was wondering if anyone could help me and tell me how to go about getting social securtiy for him. The therapst told me that I could get social security for him, but she did not tell me how to go about it. So any help will really help. I have the information that the therapist gave me when she told me that he did not pass the evualation that they gave him and that they reccomend speach therapy. So please help me if you can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• This link, http://ssa.gov/pubs/10026.html, explains the process to apply for SSI - it is the same for all states b/c SSI is a federal program. Supplemental Security Income is both disability & income-based, meaning that the child must qualify based on his or her disability AND the parents' income must be within the federal guideline. Typically, a speech impediment alone will not qualify a child for SSI unless the impediment is marked & severe, there is also an underlying neurological disorder to the speech impediment or there is another qualifying impairment in addition to the speech impediment. Good luck.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Honey if your son is alright other than a speech impediment what makes you think you deserve social security? just so you can hang out? the reason they supplie asst. like that is if you cannot tend work due to having to be a care giver to a child who cannot function. wouldnt you feel bad if you got approved and collected it and a mom with a downs syndrome baby couldnt get the same asst. because your greedy ass spent her check? you should be ashamed of your self.
    Anonymous