My parents took her back....how do you cope with it?

My parents adopted my biological daughter when she born. However, she lived with me since she was born. She has been raised as though I am her only mother. Last week, my parents took her to a therapist. My mom claims that the therapist told her to take her back from me. I am having a very difficult time dealing with this situation....how do you deal with it while trying to live a normal life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Did they give any other reason? Are they allowing you to see her? I don't understand how this could be best for her if all is well.
    Anonymous

• I am sure your parents side to this story is much different than yours. She is legally their daughter so they had the right to bring her home she is their child. I don't know their reasons I am sure they are very good ones to take such a drastic step.
    Anonymous

• I'm a little confused. If they adopted her, why was she living with you? Why did they adopt her?How old is your daughter? Talk to your parents and try to work something out. If you can't, talk to a lawyer and see what kind of rights you may have, since you have been her primary caretaker since she was born. Maybe there is some way you can get the adoption reversed.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• this is confusing. if they adopted her they have the rights but why if she lived with you. there is something more to this story I believe.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 1:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I personally can't answer the question if I don't know the entire story. There's a big hole in this one and I'm not trying to pry but since you posted anon can you tell us the entire story so we can try to help?
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I guess i dont understand if they adopted her when she was born why she lived with you???
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• She must be going through some trauma to be removed from your care. There are so many parts of this that just cannot be told, I am sure, in one post. How do cope? By going to your own counselor and possibly calling your state bar association for some free legal advice and to explore your options. Perhaps since she has been in your care you may be able to legally get visitation. But that is something you need to discuss with an attorney. Counseling and time will help some but it doesn't mean that you will stop missing your child.  What it means is that you are living and coping with not having her living with you.  I hope you have the answers you are looking for.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I really don't want to sound heartless.... but you really shouldn't have allowed them to adopt her if you didn't want to deal with this as a possibility. You chose to allow them to be "mom" and you were just allowed to care for her for this time. I'm sorry, but i'm not sure there is anything to do at this point unless you want to fight the adoption itself.
    Anonymous