What are your thoughts? Am I being "snooty"?

SO and I have a 4 m/o DD who is my pride and joy. I am with her every waking moment unless of course I'm at work, and then my family entertains her til I get out. His parents, uncle, and 2 kids smoke in their home and it always seems to be clouded with smoke, and when DD goes over they smoke outside. When I'd pick her up she'd stank like butts and I'd have to give her a bath immediately. SO wants his family to be able to watch her more, and I've said no unless they are willing to watch her in our non-smoking home (we live like 2 minutes away). He says I'm being snooty and hypocritical because I used to smoke (quit 9/12/07) and now I hate the smell and don't want her being around the toxins. What do you think? Should I stick to my guns on this one, or let DD be in their smelly, smoke infested home? NOT to mention they refuse to wash their hands before handling her after they've gone out for a smoke.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• stick to ur guns; i wouldnt want my daughter in a smoke infested enviorment; ur are not being snooty; you are being logical ; who wants their baby inhaling that or smelling like that??? not me....
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You are not being snooty at all. Just because they don't smoke around her, doesn't mean she isn't exposed. The smoke clings to them and she inhales it. Stand your ground, this is your baby's health. Too bad if they have their feelings hurt.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• No. Screw that. There is nothing more important than the health of your daughter!! Stay strong and let them see how serious you are.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I don't think your being snooty. Stick to your guns . Cigarette smoke is not good for anybody to be around, especially children.

Answer by louise2 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Stick to your guns.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Nope... your not being snooty. Just being in a house where people smoke can do damage to your lungs, and it does stink, BADLY! I used to smoke too, but quit about two years ago.
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 1:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My sister and her boyfriend smoke pot and they aren't allowed to have my kids in their house, even though they don't do it while the kids are there. My parents smoke cigarettes outside all the time, so that doesn't bother me, since the house doesn't smell. But my sister wasn't ever offended when I told her she couldn't have the kids in her house. She comes over here to see them or to babysit when I ask her to.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Wouldn't that be considered second hand smoking? I think you should stick to your guns and have them watch your baby in YOUR HOME. When my family contradict my wishes, I talk about it withmy DH (like you did) and since it IS YOUR HOME, IT'S YOUR RULES.

So if they can watch your baby at your house then they can hold off on the smoking for the time when you're at work. If they don't think it's a big deal smokingin/out of their house, then it won't be a big deal NOT smoking at your house which IS 2 minutes away.. Even if they are doing you the favor of watching your baby they can at least respect your wishes..

Adja70

Answer by Adja70 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• stick to your guns you are doing the right thing for her.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 1:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Stay the way you are to better baby's health. My 16 year old daughter has asthma and I won't let her at her best friend's HOUSE because the parents smoke. She can't drive w/them because while driving again both parents smoke. I take care of her when she's sick they don't. Stay calm, happy that they want to watch her, but it has to be done at your house w/NO smoking. Don't be bullied into compromising baby's health.
    Anonymous