Would you rather be right and this country suffer further or have to bite your tongue?

I see many people have such an embedded opinion of what Obama will or will not do in regard to his campaign promises before he has even gotten into office. While I am an Obama supporter, I have no idea what will happen until after he is in office so everything until then is speculation. My question is to all of those who are absolutely CERTAIN that Obama is a mistake. Would you rather be right and have the country fall further into shambles or have Obama succeed and have to bite your tongue.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't like him no trust him one single bit, i know i have no choice now but that isn't going to stop me from saying what i want to say.... i hope i am wrong and i have to bite my tounge
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• First off, I think there are people that don't really like Obama's policy. We all have different opinions as to how to help the economy, war on terror, immigration problems, etc. But our elected officials are there because we put them there. It is our job to question why they make the decisions they make. If we become complacent and don't question government, they make decisions based on THEIR opinions, not yours. American citizens have a job, and that's to let their elected officials know their opinions. Know how they vote and what they think. If they aren't representing you, vote someone else in the next term. And ALWAYS QUESTION. ALWAYS.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Oh, and I will gladly eat my plate of crow if things turn out wonderful. It is hard for some to be so optimistic when the incoming President's values differ so much from their own.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I want him to succeed. I sincerely hope he does. But my god he looks so young and sounds SO nieve and (for the love of GOD don't bring up Palin this is an OBAMA question!) lacks so much in real experience. He has never run anything! I worry about that! But I REALLY REALLY hope for the sake of my children that he gets it right!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If he succeeds I won't have to bite my tongue Because in order for him to succeed he will have to renig on his campaign promises making him a liar
    In order to succeed he has to go back on capital gains taxation
    reducing cap gain taxes is the only way to increase investment
    In order to succeed he has to cut taxes on business instead of taxing more
    those small business and large businesses are what keep people employed with less tax
    In order to succeed he has to cut back on social programs instead of paying the noloads more
    giving out more welfare produces no tax revenue, the money is forever gone
    In order to succeed he has to stop the increase in welfare which causes multi-generational dependence

I would love for Obama to succeed, in order to do so, he has to not do what he platformed on to win the election.
    The question is, Does Obama want to succeed? Can he handle being called a liar to save his own country
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• What do you mean by succeed? It's all a matter of prospective isn't it? Of course I want our country to succeed, but to me that means being able to buy something that was made in the USA, it means being able to make enough money to raise my family and not depend on goverment hand outs, it would mean the unity of the American people, it would mean having good foriegn relations but also a military who can and will protect us. It would mean not wasting my tax dollars on stupid things that don't help or hurt anyone.
    Anonymous

• I was not overjoyed to see him elected, but had the attitude that he was now the PE, I needed to respect him as my President, and that our country would be fine under his leadership.

Unfortunately, the things that he has said in recent weeks regarding his economic plans, this new proposed stimulus package, and the choices he's made for Cabinet picks have been nothing short of absolute disappointment.

What "change", really? So many people voted on that and honestly, what change are they seeing? Some of us are bashed for having an unfavorable outlook and pre-judging him; those who are expecting so much from him and claiming this massive "change" are doing the same thing...pre-judging him.
    Anonymous

• (cont)
    Is his economic plan a change from Bush? No. Bush authorized bailouts and stimulus checks, and now Obama plans to do the same exact thing, but on a more massive scale. Did it really help our economy? No. We know that now--people saved it or paid bills; they didn't blow it at the stores shopping. We need to learn from that instead of doling out more in checks...what about tax cuts? Incentives for small businesses?

First he claims his stimulus will create 3 million jobs; then 3.5 million. Now it's 4.1 million. Is this like his cap for the definition of the "middle class"? First it was 250K. Then according to his infomercial it was 200K. Then Biden claims on two occasions that it's 150K. Dare we ask what the bottom of the middle class is?
    Anonymous

• (cont)
    Is his Cabinet a change? No. Unless you consider it a change from the Bush Administration back to the Clinton Administration. Again...let's learn from history here. The recession is not entirely Bush's fault. Clinton's economic strategies and loosening of restrictions on the housing market played a hefty role in our current position.

Is he changing our country by getting us out of war? No. He's not getting us out of war. Bush finalized the agreement with the Iraqis to withdraw the troops by 2012. What does Obama plan to do? Put us right back into war by shifting those troops from Iraq to Afghanistan.

Are we going to stop spending so much money to Iraq? Yup. Is it going to go back into our economy to help people in need or to fund our school systems or to support our infrastructure? No. It will be used to support the needs of troops in Afghanistan.
    Anonymous

• (final)
    If Obama succeeds, that would truly be wonderful, and I will definitely be first in line to give him the praise and accolades he deserves. However, he used the media and massive campaign funds to draw people in with the promise of totally unrealistic expectations and now he's backpedaling. Very hard. If Obama fails, it will have been because he did not live up to the expectations which he himself chose to set.
    Anonymous