How do i get him in his bed and keep him there??

my two year old son has been sleeping in bed with me and my hubby for almost 3 months now. we never intended on it happening for an extended period of time. but now he screams when he's in his own bed. and if we do manage to get him there he wakes up in the middle of the night screamin till we put him in bed with us. we've tryed everything to keep him out of our bed but nothing seems to work! i think i'll go crazy if i have to sleep one more night with his feet in my back! and not to mention my sex life is hard to keep up with when we're busy all day and then having a toddler in the bed at night. any advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The sooner you put him back in his own bed the better. Get right back into your regular night time routine and end it by him going to sleep in his own bed. If he wakes during the night you can either let him cry or go to him, tell him it's ok, and put him back in his bed.
    I saw a cool night light in the One Step Ahead catalogue. It glows blue for night time and yellow for day time. You could try that. Tell him when the light is blue he has to be in his own bed and when the light is yellow he can get up.
    You can also try a behaviour chart. He gets a sticker for sleeping in his own bed all night and if you want, let him choose a small toy (gotta love the dollar store) in the morning. Make a big deal out of it when he sleeps in his own bed all night.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• DUCT TAPE! Just joking. The only thing I can say, is just keep putting him in his own bed tell he gets the understanding that that's were he sleeps now. It won't be easy.

Answer by louise2 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• He cries in the middle of the night because he knows you will come get him and put him in bed with you. Next time he cries, feel free to go in his room and tell him that you are there for him, but it is still time to sleep. See if he needs a drink of water or blanket or something. I dont know how old your son is (early twos or later two's) but ask him why he cries in the middle of the night. Perhaps it is too dark and he needs a night light or too quiet and maybe a noise maker or lullaby CD would do the trick.

the more you reward him by giving in and bringing him to bed, the more often he will get up and cry for you to come get him.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Have you tried a reward chart?
    If he stays in his bed all night, he gets a sticker. Fill the chart, get a reward. It could be an ice cream cone at the ice cream store or a toy at the dollar store - nothing big or expensive - but wonderful to him!

Good luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• this is going to suck I know but here goes.......let him scream it out, but keep putting him back in his bed, no matter how hard he fights it. He will eventually be too tired to keep up the fight. You may have to pick a couple of days where there is no work or big plans, cause your ALL going to be tired. You and your husband have to be firm about it. AND DONT CAVE IN, not even once or your son wins. Just do this now, my nephew didnt move out of his parents bed till he was 8 because they kept giving in not wanting the fight. YOU CAN DO IT!
    MeganLSBartz

Answer by MeganLSBartz at 3:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• agh! i am so glad to see i am not the only one that can't get my 2 year old son out of our bed! i have tried so many different things. i got him a pet fish to put in his room so he might want to sleep in there to keep fishy company, no, he didn't! but now, i got one of those doorknob locks, its a plastic thing you put over your door knob. he usually just opens the door and runs out, but now, he can't get it opened, i know this sounds so terribley mean, but it was something to try, when he was alot smaller i would shut the door, and he didn't know how to open it, he would lay down infront of the door and go to sleep, then that caused a problem b/c i couldn't open the door to check on him. but now, with that doorknob thing, he just screams and cries until he gags, so then i let him into our bed again! good luck girlie! i hope we both find answers on here that will help~
    Logansmommy81

Answer by Logansmommy81 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2009