How old is too old for naps?

Or when did your child stop taking naps? My son still fights them, but he always has. When I put him down he still sleeps for about 2 hours or so.

BooBearsMomma

Asked by BooBearsMomma at 1:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I stopped my eldest before he turned 5 because he would be going into infants and needed to get n a schedule which would allow him to stay awake in school lol and i will do that with my other boys to.

Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 1:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• 31/2 or so it really depends on the child and personally what you think it's your child!
    Anonymous

• You're never too old for naps! LOL Wish I could get one every once in a while!

I just let my kids stop on their own. If he's fighting them, let him skip them for a few days & see how it goes. You may luck out & he'll go to bed a couple of hrs early at night ---- something that your S/O might be very happy with *wink*wink*
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• wow!! my daughter who is now 4 was completely off naps at one and a half..she's always been a good sleeper tho, like when it comes to sleeping thru the night, she started that at just under 3 months..so..i cant complain!! the more time i have with her the better!! ya the odd time she got cranky around dinner time..but..there was no way i was gonna put her down for a nap that late in the day, so i just had to make sure she was kept busy not thinking about how sleepy she was..lol..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I should add my son is a HORRIBLE sleeper, as in he didn't sleep through the night, ever, until he was 2 1/2 (there is a lot of background reason, but I won't go into here!) If he goes to bed early he gets up at 4am, and the same if he goes to bed late. He still fights bed time about 80% of the time. I guess that would have important information to add too!!!
    BooBearsMomma

Answer by BooBearsMomma at 1:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My son is three and he takes a nap almost every afternoon. Depending on what we've done for the morning or if he was up later the night before, he usually sleeps between 60 and 90 minutes... That's actually where he is now...
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My oldest stopped taking them when he was three. My three year old can go without them, but does better with them. My 2 year old will be napping for a while longer yet...long while.

My exSIL used to make hers take naps until they started kindergarten.

I just don't see the point in them if there is a battle. I mean...my oldest turned three and right about that time he started staying awake up to 1 1/2 hours past bedtime. He'd lay there and talk/play in bed. We stopped the naps and he started going to sleep at bedtime.

Our current three year old is starting to do that now. He can go with out them, but right now they're all sick...so they're all sleeping!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• This depends on your kid. If he is still going to sleep easily at night and sleeping through the night for a decent amount of hours, he is good for naps. If he is staying up really late, getting up at night, or getting up really really early, you might want to let him go without and if he is fussy, move bedtime up.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My last 2 boys stopped taking naps when they were about 1 1/2. They just fought me the whole time. They are good sleepers at night though. go to bed around 7 and sleep until 5:30 or 6 the next morning. They are 4 and 3 now.
    ttcgirl110

Answer by ttcgirl110 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• my two year old doesn't really nap. If he DOES fall asleep its usually around 4 in the afternoon and too late in the afternoon to let him sleep very long.

quiet time of any kind is a good idea. A movie, a few books, or just some kind of down time during the day us a good idea. Get him to rest.... they need it! Sleeping isn't the key, just rest!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 5:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2009