Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I report someone who is not following the policies correctly and has taken a child out of school without providing them with any means of education. She just tells people that she is home schooling but is not following any sort of regimen?


Asked by 75mom75 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (65)
  • WOW........That is a whole lot of bashing! I think people should have "heard" your concern before they thought you were judging. I never saw judging of homeschooling, only concern for a child. A 10 year old is NOT old enough to be watching children alone, especially babies! The home enviroment sounds horrible. If talking to her gets you nowhere then call CPS, let them decide if the proper care of the children is taking place. Your niece...any child...deserves better then what you have discribed! SO do what feels right, you are closes to the situation and something feels wrong then follow through, you'll kick yourself later if you don't.

    Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • Contact the principle of the school she should be attending and He/She can file a Truancy report and then the court system along with local authorities will get involved. If for some reason that doesn't work there's always Child Protective Services..a drastic measure but an effective one.

    Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • Do you know what goes on in her home? Do you know for sure that there are no means of education?

    There are MANY different styles to homeschooling, so please be sure that she IS neglecting her children's education first before calling the authorities on her.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • It is ALSO possible that since she has recently taken her children out of public schools that she is doing what is called "de-schooling". This is a common thing amongst new homeschooling families.

    According to your state's laws on homeschooling (assuming that's also where your friend lives) the only thing required to take the children out of school to homeschool them is a written notification of enrollment to the board of education.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • "Not following a regimen" doesn't necessarily mean she's not teaching her children. Laws vary by state & people use all sorts of means to educate their children at home --- including "unschooling", which is what she may be doing. Also, it's usually recommended to take a period of 'de-schooling' when removing a child from public school ---- a sort of transition period before diving all the way into homeschooling. Another thing.... homeschoolers don't have to follow the schedule of public schools --- like me, for example, I live in SE Texas where the summers are brutal -- too hot for the kids to get outside & play. So, we school through summer & take time off in spring & fall.

    So, I'd recommend you do a little more research first before you report her. She's probably completely within her legal rights.

    Answer by Laura1229 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • I thought all legitimate homeschool programs required written approval from the school district your child WOULD have attended, along with some sort of proof that you are in fact meeting educational standards (ie: registration with a homeschool organization, receipts of school supplies/books, etc. reports of field trips, etc.?!?!

    Answer by LoriKeet at 1:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • LoriKeet-- the laws vary from state to state. In your state, that may be the case. But it's not like that in other places.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • Well unfortunately I know for a fact that she is not providing any education what so ever. It is a relative of mine and she still has one child in the school system. The child that she has out of school is being used to help at a day care. Someone already came after her but there hasn't been any follow up. Do you have to enroll your child in some way with the state to say that they are being home schooled?


    Answer by 75mom75 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • I agree with the second poster. If you are not sure, don't just jump to conclusions. There are a lot of factors to consider, particlularly what state you live in. Do you know the homeschool laws? Reporting something like this is serious, so be sure you know all the facts. Is this a family member or just someone you know? I homeschool my dc, and I would be quite upset if someone poked their nose into my business without even knowing what was going on. How old is the child?

    Answer by Godluvzu at 1:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • No you don't.

    Like I said before though, she could be "de-schooling" her child. Also, school doesn't have to occur at a specific time during the day. Is it possible that she's schooling her at an awkward time? If the authorities have already been called and gone for a visit and haven't bothered with her since, they must not see anything wrong with what/how she's doing it.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2009