Why is it acceptable for Malik Zulu Shabazz to speak at colleges or run for office?

Please read the following articles and then answer this question. (copy and paste link to your browser)

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/individualProfile.asp?indid=2044

http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/malik_zulu_shabazz/default.asp?LEARN_Cat=Extremism&LEARN_SubCat=Extremism_in_America&xpicked=2&item=Shabazz

This is not to start drama, so don't bother reading THIS far, and then comment something like that. In a previous post, people didn't even know what the black panther party was.

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 1:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's not. Frankly, I'm tired of reading that the Black Panthers "aren't as bad" simply because they started their group in "retaliation" to the KKK.

So, what, if your son hits your daughter because she hit him first, does that make it ok? Retaliation is being justified in the Black Panther/KKK situation, so why would it not be ok for two children?
    Anonymous

• I agree with pp. It's not okay. Black Panthers are thugs and would terrorize the community that he represents. It would be like a union. They are bullies and don't promote free thought. They keep racism alive because it's what gives them identity, instead of actually doing and succeeding at something.

Anonymous

• Then don't donate to the college. The KKK had a parade here last year, everyone tried to bar them - but legally they cannot. So, in order to not bring them notoriety: I didn't go, and if people discussed it I walked away, and when it was on the news I turned the channel. My free will/choice, and it brings them so much LESS popularity.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I am beyond sickened. He openly defended a man convicted of killing a BLACK sheriff in GA. He would prefer the criminal be served justice over the family of the man who was murdered? How dare he say that we shove the Holocaust down his throat?! It was a travesty in our history and we are not allowed to speak of being brutalized and only the descendants of slaves have the right to share their horror?! I don't hear half as much about the Holocaust. Slavery was horrible and it was something that should never have been brought to be but the Holocaust was horrific as well. Concentration camps, being gassed in groups, separated from family and having experimental anesthesia free operations performed to test the tolerance of the human body and mind...That doesn't warrant any frustration?!

micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It does warrant frustration, but the best way is to ignore it, and spread your good happy reasonable thoughts, not spin around in circles arguing with an idiot that will believe his own deplorable rhetoric, no matter what you say.

That is why if you want to change it, don't donate to that school. Tell people why you don't, then more people won't.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It just frustrates me and I pray for Obama even further b/c God forbid this nut use this presidency as a catalyst. I would never argue with a man as intelligent as he is and at the same time sees no reason.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Oh, and the asshole David Duke continues to run for office.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• micrespo: I doubt that he will. Obama is a reasonable man, and has consistently condemned Shabazz. I hate both the BP and the kkk. To me, they are the scourge of the earth. Preaching hatred is never the answer.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If he is speaking at privately owned colleges that he is helping to support, he has that right.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 3:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• five, did you READ those links? and all you can say is walk away and don't give them any attention, or don't donate? is this what brings change? ignoring militant racists that preach hate?
    Anonymous