Do you call your pediatrician if your toddler is vomitting? Or just wait it out...

My toddler woke up today appearing to be fine, so I gave her a usual breakfast of a little milk, a pancake and a little cereal. She also asked for some juice so I gave her that too. About a half hour later she vomitted it all up. I probably should have waited, but after I cleaned her up I gave her some water. About a half hour later she vomitted again. She asked me for some water, so of course I gave it to her, and about a half hour later she vomitted again. Now she is sleeping and I'm doing laundry! Am I just being paranoid, or does this sound serious? She also has a very low-grade fever 99.5. I haven't given her any medicine because I'm afraid she'll vomit again.

rachelmarie7006

Asked by rachelmarie7006 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would wait and see if she can eventually keep water down. Thats the main concer, just don't let her get dehydrated. If after a few hours then I'd maybe call the pediatrician and see if they think you should bring her in. Chances are its just a stomach virus and it will have to work its way out of her and there is no medicine for that. And also keep a watch on her fever, if it goes over 100 then I'd most likely take her in.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 1:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• 99.5 isn't even a low grade fever. It's within normal range.

Don't give her anything for 2 hours when she vomits. Let her stomach rest. Give no food, no drink!

After she's gone for 2 hours without vomiting, give her 2 ounces of water. If she can keep that down for 10 minutes, then give 2 more ounces and wait for 10 minutes. If that stays down, give her 4 ounces and wait for 20minutes. Then give her 4 more....if 20minutes later she still has not vomited, then let her have water as she wants, making sure she drinks slowly.

If she goes for 6-8 hours without vomiting, then let her start a little bit of food (piece of toast or bread kind of thing) Slowly re-introduce food to her...bland at first.

If at ANY point, she vomits again, start over with the 2 hours wait.

My son vomited once and I called the doctor. This is what we were told to do.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I hate making trips to the doc so unless its so severe that they are lethargic, getting dehydrated, it has lasted more than three days or it is accompanied with a high fever that won't resolve with Tylenol and Motrin after I few days I won't take them or call. They are treated at home, symptomatically.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 2:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would go with TiccledBlue's advice. The only thing I would add is that you can buy otter pops and those are about two ounces. They take longer to put in the body and don't come back up as quickly. They also don't taste too bad coming back up. If your daughter begins to seem lethargic or dehydrated, call your doctor. If she cannot hold down two ounces of fluids four hours after vomiting, call your doctor. That is a long time to not be able to hold anything down.

The worry here is not that she has a condition that has to have medical intervention, but that the results of her illness (i.e. dehydration) are severe and need medical intervention.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• This is going around. I wouldn't take her to the doctor if she isn't feeling well. It will just bother her. Let her rest. I wouldn't give her anything for a while. Try some water if she wants it, then later some dry cereal or toast.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would get some Pedialyte if you have the chance but only give her small sips, no more than 2 ozs. at a time. If she can keep that down for a few hours try the BRATT diet; bananas, rice, apples, toast and tea(optional).
    afeggan

Answer by afeggan at 3:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I agree with afeggan. The important thing is to keep her hydrated. My son is doing the same thing, so your not alone.
    Alwaysacarnie

Answer by Alwaysacarnie at 10:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• carrots, potatoes and crackers are also allowed on the brat diet.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Thanks for all the tips!
    rachelmarie7006

Answer by rachelmarie7006 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009