• In the Spotlight:

Just started son on cow's milk and he has diarrhea

We just had our 1 yr. check at the Dr.'s office and she recommended started my son on cow's milk (gradually replacing his formula). I did it and he has diarrhea. It is VERY stinky and a lightish green color (ok, maybe TMI). Is this normal when first introducing or is it a sign of an intolerance/allergy? He never seemed to have a problem with cheese or the milk based formula. I wanted some input before I call the doc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My children couldn't tolerate whole milk, so try skim. The pediatrician said that it wouldn't make a difference, but on skim they were OK, on whole milk they had diarrhea, I tried switching them over a period of two months and had the same result every time. So yes, it could be a senstivity or allergy. You could also try soy milk, or organice cow's milk, or goat milk if you can get it.

Answer by Bmat at 1:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We have been using organic cow's milk (2%). I hope he doesn't have an allergy to it! :(
    Anonymous

• my daughter had the opposite affect she got severely constipatded on whole milk so i tried lactose free and it helped a bit but not much so the doc put her on soy and it works great good luck.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• it may just be to much to hand all at once. are you mixing it with his formula alittle at a time or did you just fool go and give him straight milk? It may just be to rich for his belly. back track a bit and try again here in another few weeks or even a month.
    Anonymous

• If switching to skim milk does not help, try lactaid, soy milk, or goat's milk. If none of those work, stay with formula for a few more months. Every baby is different. He may simply not be ready.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• we were told to replace one whole serving a day with the cow's milk. so, for example, instead of having 4 cups of formula, he'll have 3 and 1 cup of milk. then on day two, he has 2 of formula and 2 of milk, etc. i am just going to pull back a little on the amount until his body is used to it.
    Anonymous

• Well cheese and yogurt are alot easier on the stomach because of the bacteria added when making it. It actually breaks down the proteins that could cause allergies, so that could explain why he's never had a problem with dairy before. Stop giving him the milk until you can talk to your doctor again.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009