What Stood Out For You When You Were Little?

I remember all of the things my parents did for me. I look back on certain things we did together, almost like traditions, and I will never forget them. I want her to have those little things to look back on when she is older, and smile like I do. I am going to carry on the tradition of some of the things my parents did, but some new ones also. What do/did you do for your children that is/was special, and what do you remember from your childhood that was special to you?

Karleyy

Asked by Karleyy at 2:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I carry on alot of traditions as well. We have big Saturday meals that I work on and have family night Saturday nights also. We play games, watch movies and things like that. My girls and me have girls night out. I also have boys night out with my sons and its just the boys and me. We go to special events like town carnivals. We take three vacations every summer. We go to VA to see my parents and DC and area attractions, then two other places like this summer disneyworld and havent decided on the third yet. Mostly though we just center everything around the kids. The sun rises and sets to them.

Answer by gemgem at 2:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i remember loading shot gun shells with my dad when he was getting ready to go hunting. he had a macine that put the gun powder n the shells it was fun
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My dad's home-made cooking. We never ate frozen french fries, they were always home-made. And we never ate Microwavable popcorn, it was made in a big pot on the stove. Simple things like that.

Oh, and we never went camping in parks...IMO if you have a toilet within the vicinity, and running water, it is not camping. We would go back in the woods, and sometimes we would find camps where someone had already been, and other times we would make our own camp. But it was always next to a river, never just in the middle of no where.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have never in my whole life had a Christmas without a Christmas tree! Even now, when I sometimes think of how much a pain in the butt it is, I still do it and then I really love it once it's decorated! Swimming was also a real big deal with my Dad when we were growing up. And baking was real big with Mom. Those were the days. Thanks for asking this. Feels good to remember.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 4:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Wow...I could go on and on. I remember waking up and hearing my grandfather sing in the kitchen to the radio while my grandma was cooking breakfast. I remember all the weekend get togethers they had -- they pitched washers, played music, and it was just a good time.
    My grandpa used to take me on long walks and show me the place he used to live when he was a little boy -- I miss them so much!
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2009