How do I get him to poop in the potty? :)

My son is four (and a half!) and has Asperger's, so sensory issues are sometimes a problem for him. He is GREAT at peeing in the potty, but when it comes to poop, he wants to wear a pull-up. We've even gotten him to the point where he will sit on the potty and poop in the pull-up, but we can't get him to take that last step. Any suggestions?

Jodie118

Asked by Jodie118 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't know if this will work for you but...
    Try making fake poop with playdoh and put it in the potty.
    My daughter and I had a lot of fun mixing little bits of different colors to see if we could make just the "right shade" of brown.
    Then we had fun putting the play poop in the well-cleaned potty. She thought it was so fun! (She's 2.5).
    Since then (3 days), she has made an effort to poop on the potty. We've only had a very limited sucess but I can tell she is trying to wrap her mind around the concept and be brave enough to try. So, we'll keep "playdoh poop" as part of our playtime for now.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I like the first response, that mom is ingenius. Has he ever seen his daddy's bowel movement in the toilet? Or maybe he might do it on the big potty like mommy and daddy. Maybe he can only see the potty as for pee only? You could give him a book, snack, or his favorite toy to relax and make it more fun and keeping his mind occupied on something he enjoys.
    lovewing

Answer by lovewing at 11:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My 3 yr. old daughter would pee in the potty but when it came to pooping, she would hide in a corner somewhere and poop in her pants (we put big girl panties on her to make her feel big). She didn't like sitting in her underwear when she pooped but I could not for the life of me figure out what to do...So I made a potty chart. Just for pooping. She would get a star for everytime she pooped in the potty. At 10 stars, she would get a reward. I would let her pick, and her poison was My Little Ponies lol. Well soon she started going alot more, so we uped it to 20 stars..that was this past summer and now she doesn't have a problem at all...she goes without even telling me.
    thomasfam14

Answer by thomasfam14 at 2:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I know with my son, it just took time. He was peeing in the potty for about 2 weeks before he finally pooped on the potty. I finally caught him trying to go in his pants and rushed him to the bathroom. At first he jumped right off and told me no, and he kept trying to run away, but I kept putting him back on and telling him he had to go in the potty. Finally, he couldn't hold it anymore and went on the potty and that was all it took. Once he did it once, we never had another accident.
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 11:06 AM on Jan. 13, 2009