Traveling with a baby...any advice?!?!

This SUnday we leave to go visit family out of state!! Our son is 8 months old and we are flying from CT to FL which is about 3 hours or so. Does anyone have any advice for the trip? Any advice on packing? Pretty much any advice on ANYTHING?!?!

ctsassy

Asked by ctsassy at 2:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Travel

• If he uses a pacifier make sure you have that or a few of them incase you drop one under the seat (really hard to get something back from under the seat on a plane) Make sure to have plenty of stuff that will entertain the baby on the flight. Good Luck and prepare for the best but expect the worst.
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 2:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would make sure he is hungry and feed him during take off to help with his ears. Its been a while since mine was so young but I know she nursed during take off and landing and it helped. Also when you get to the airport ask if they have any seats where you can have an empty seat next to you. If its not full they will give you a little space. And lastly if he screams during the flight take a deep breath and forget the people around you. Don't be embarrassed you are not alone :)
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I also carried my daughter in the babycarrier on my front and a backpack on my back so I could have my hands free to eat and stuff but I was traveling alone...you will do great don't worry too much about it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• my daughter is 9 months old and has been flying back and forth from OH to AZ since she was 3 months old. Here are a few things I learned about the airport. If you have diaper rash cream put it in your check in bag and dont carry it. THey have to take you aside and put it in the machine cuz it has some chemical used to make bombs in it. Most airports only let you take 4 ounces of formula through security. They may even make you go in a box and swipe a pad over your sons stomach to make sure you didnt put explosives on him. Have lots of your sons favorite toys in your bag. Feed him on take off to help his ears. IF you have any specific questions feel free to email me. hope this helps
    izzismom08

Answer by izzismom08 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• if your son takes a paci, pack several... they help with the pressure of the plane... so like chewing gum for adults.. play a trick with him, and have him fake yawn with you... as for packing... pack him his own little bag, like blanket, favorite stuffy... stuff that will comfort him.. if you can, have him sit between you and hubby if you got three seats.. 3 hours is a good time to take a nap too..so maybe the ride of the plane will help him fall asleep. When I pack for our son, he gets his own bag.. plus any meds he is taking.. and also, take his med card and immunization card if he gets them.. if something happens in FL, you'll be prepared.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2009