How can I train a kitten?

I recently resuced a kitten from the shelter. He's 3 months and the cutest thing ever. Problem is he dosent listen for anything. He trys to jump on the table when we are eating, bites, straches...u name it! I tried spraying him with a squirt bottel but for some odd reason he likes the water....I even put him on time out in the other bedroom..dosent work. Im almost 3 months pregnant and cant have him behaving like that around the baby. Any suggestions?

Jennyv143

Asked by Jennyv143 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Pets

• Wow thats a tough question...Dogs are so much easier to train then kitten's...Maybe call your Vet and see what they have to say! Good Luck : )
    LYNDELOU

Answer by LYNDELOU at 1:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Add some lemon juice or perfume to the water. You may need to experiment to find a scent he doesn't like.
    Also make sure he is neutered. Neutered males are less likely to mark their territory when they are grown.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Cats DO NOT like citric smells "oranges/grapefruit/lemon). As mentioned above, try adding something sented to the water bottle. Also make sure the water bottle is on "jet stream" and doesn't just mist water.
    Another thing that works really well:
    But some pennies in a tin can and tape the whole off. Everytime the cat gets on the table, thow the can in that direction. The noise will startle the cat. The key is to throw it, before he lands on the table/counter.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 2:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Uhh...I wouldn't advise throwing a can of pennies at your cat unless you're looking to either hurt the cat or break some possessions. But you could certainly shake it loudly to startle it.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 4:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Get rid of the cat & get a dog...
    Anonymous

• hhhm. since he like the water and thats the only i could think of i really dont know. maybe if you keep him occupied or when he does something bad give him options as far as doing something else so that he stays out of trouble.
    well good luck and have fun with your newest family member.
    tiffyxandre

Answer by tiffyxandre at 7:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• One thing I find that works with kittens is to repeatedly put him back on the floor. Sooner or later he will learn not to do that anymore. I raise kittens and do this with them. You have to stay on top of it just like you have to when teaching kids.
    Shawndis

Answer by Shawndis at 4:49 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• First off... he is just a baby and as with babies, they need to be taught...
    What you need to try is ... when the kitten jumps onto the table, pick him up and look at him and tell him no, spank his bottom (more of a tap) and put him down on the floor.. do this with everything he does... he is (like a child) testing the waters, if you are consistance with him, he will STOP... when the baby comes, introduce them to each other, again if he (kitten) gets into the bed or bites do the above ... you have to talk to them as you do children... I know dogs are easier to train and cats have a mind of their own and tend to own the house, but you are boss and they do learn who is in charge... I have 3 and they all have been trained well enough to know better... good luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• It takes time...just make sure you tell them no everytime they do something and get them off of the table or etc. They are going to do these things until they really learn there lesson they they stop...it just takes time you have to have patience! I would try the water bottle with citrus. Experiment...see what they like and what they don't like! Good luck...we have three kittens so iam continously telling them no and spraying them with citrus water. Sometimes it just takes a really big no no to really get them to understand that oh I better not do that. Good luck!
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I have 4 cats, and have been through this 4 times. The thing that honestly worked for me is to get a cat carrier and place a small box in there for the cat litter, and put him/her in there everytime he acts up. YOu might also want to do this every night when you go to bed, he/she will calm down and know you are boss. It will get better when they get fixed just stay on top of it. Aldo in your spray bottle you might want to try citrus, it works and it is ok for you as well. Good luck and if ya have anymore questions feel free to email me!! <3
    kristen08079

Answer by kristen08079 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2008