Should I get the warrenty on the laptop?

We just got a new laptop from Circuit City, and we didn't get the 2 year warranty on it. It has the 1 yr manufacturers warranty from HP, so we didn't know if we should get the one from Circuit City or not. I have heard that laptops have a tendency to crash a lot, so maybe the warranty would be worth it? They said its $170 for 2 yrs. Another thing I thought of...what if Circuit City goes under? Does that mean our warranty is pretty much gone? I know they aren't doing as well as they used to, and stores are closing. Anyway, if any of you have experience with either getting the warranty on a laptop or not, any advice would be appreciated. We have 2 weeks to decide to add it if we want.

abigail824

Asked by abigail824 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• What brand of Laptop? I say yes. Laptops are notoriously hard to get repaired.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I bought my HP from circuit city without the warranty. Its been fine. I have used customer service a couple of times. Once you get close to the warranty going out you can buy an extended from HP for $75 or so bucks.

Answer by gemgem at 2:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Well I've never had any problems out of a laptop, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. I definitley recommend keeping virus protection on it at all times bc that's where most problems come from (McAffee and Norton are pretty good). Make sure that the one's who use it are using it properly and I dont see any reason why it would crash.
    Anonymous

• We got the HP too, gemgem- I didn't know you could extend the warranty after the year. How are you using your battery? My laptop is mostly for home use, so I may have it plugged in a lot. I've seen conflicting tips on either keeping the battery in fully charged while its plugged in, or getting it to 40% charge and then take it out and store it, if I am going to keep the laptop plugged in. What do you do with yours?
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would. On any item that is worth protecting, an additional warranty is useful. Check the terms and conditions first. Find out exactly what is covered and under what circumstances. Where would you have to bring the item for repairs? If you have to ship it then it isn't worth it. Will they replace it if your laptop breaks down through no fault of your own?
    The reason why you purchase an additonal store warranty is because they usually offer more coverage than just manufacture defects, which is all the manufacturer's warranty covers.
    It would be worth your time and effort to go back and ask for every little detail about their store warranty that they wish to sell you.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2009