• In the Spotlight:

Are three positive home pregnancy tests pretty much a sure thing? and how can you determine when you conceived?

I'm curious as to if I could have had three false positives, since I took them within thirty minutes of each other. And how I can know how far along I am.

sarah61742

Asked by sarah61742 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can't really be sure exactly when you conceived. They will calculate your estimated due date based on the first day of your last menstrual cycle. So, technically, even if you just had sex two weeks ago - but your last menstruation was 4 weeks ago.. you would be "4 weeks" pregnant. Essentially the 40 weeks tracks the entire cycle of the egg that's currently fertilized. Its strange to think of counting time you were "pregnant" before you actually were.. but that's how it works ;) If you aren't sure when your last period was - at your first doctor visit they will usually give you an estimate based on what they can see through the sonogram. They can generally give you an estimate that's within a week. Then at 20 weeks they may adjust that due date some when they measure your baby. Good luck!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• False positives are VERY rare. If you have had three positives, then you are pregnant. If you havent been tracking your cycles, it would probably be best to have an early ultrasound at your doctors office to determine how far along you are.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• lol no you wont get a fake positive only a fake negative so congrats your pregnant as for finding out how far you you will need to see a dr and they can give you a estimated due date based on your last missed period unless your like me and others you dont cycle normally then they may wana do a u/s to get a better guess.
    Id guess if your getting a positive your atleast 2 or 3weeks along.
    Anonymous

• no three positives mean nothing its the fourth one that you should pay attention to. lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• LOL- I would have taken one in the morning, and one a few hours later and maybe one the next day if you really wanted to take 3. But to take all 3 pretty much at once makes it hard to be sure, I'd say your probably pregnant though =)
    busygirl247

Answer by busygirl247 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Count 14 days after the first day of your last period then put that into a pregnancy calendar to get your due date.

Answer by gemgem at 2:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• A positive test result means you have HcG in your urine. The human growth hormone. A "false" positive is virtually impossible unless you're taking a very rare medication that has HcG, or you've given birth recently... or had a miscarriage. If none of these are the case you're pregnant.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I'd say you are definetly pregnant. If you dont know when you ovulated, and that is possible to tell if you were paying attention and tracking it, then you probably wont know when you concieved. It is best to then go off your last period. Add 40 weeks to that and thats when you are do, and how many weeks its been since your last period is how far alond you are. The day you concieve, you are usually counted as already 2 weeks pregnant so it may sound werid at first to be thinking that you are 4-5 weeks pregnant, but you most likely are. Congradulations. oh, and the concentration of hcg in your urine goes down each time you pee if you haven;t left hours inbetween for it to rebuild, so three tests all positive in a quick time like that, your pregnant!
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 3:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2009