1st Stage Food

Im just wondering...at what age did you guys start the 1st stage foods?

kylie_2008

Asked by kylie_2008 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started around 5 months. My doctor said it was okay to start runny cereal first at 4 months, then I added fruit and veg one at a time around 5 months.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My first son I started on fruits and veggies around 6 months. With my second ones (twins) I waited until they were closer to 9 months because they were premature.
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 2:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I LET MY DS TRY THEM ABOUT 4AND HALF MONTHS THEN HE STARTED TO LIKE THEM AND ACTUALLY EAT THEM ABOUT 5AND HALF MONTHS.....
    SOME MOMS SAY AT 6 MONTHS, BUT LISTEN TO YOUR HEART AND LET YOUR BABY LEAD THE WAY WHEN IT COMES TO FOOD......
    Anonymous

• well im asking because i have a 4month old boy :D and hes been getting the rice cereal for sometime now..n his doc said it was ok that he had it now n off the spoon...so i wasn't sure how much after that i should do the 1st stage foods. Hes already mastered the cereal..doesnt spit it up or anything like that.
    kylie_2008

Answer by kylie_2008 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I gave my DS baby food when he was about 4 months or so. It was just veggies, no fruit or anything else. He took to it fine. But I think it definitely depends on the baby and you! I gave my DD baby food at about 3 months but she had rice cereal at 6 weeks. I was not comfortable doing it the same way with my son. Only because they're different kids and they acted differently.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Then I would try the foods. Just one at a time for a few days in between each new food so you can look out for allergies. It really is all about what your kid is interested in. If he seems interested then I would try it.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• thank you so much guys!! I have wanted to try it but been so nervous cuz of all the hype on not giveing them solids till there 6months! Im a first time mommy so im tring to do stuff right! lol but when he was born he was a big boy! lol he weighed 8lbs 14oz n was 21in long! n now at 4months hes 15lbs n 25in long! So the formula is just not filling him up! The cereal is okay..but come on..how filling n good can that stuff be?! lol So does every1 pretty much think its safe to try it?
    kylie_2008

Answer by kylie_2008 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Never.

We started with stage 2 at about 4-5 months. They just took 1/2 a jar per meal, and we only did single ingredients at first (obviously). The only difference is the size of the jar and when I was buying it, it was a heck of a lot more cost effective to buy one stage 2 jar rather than two stage 1's.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• See I am a first time mom also and I was giving my daughter who is 15 weeks old stage one baby food at dinner time because she is been opening her mouth while she watches us eat. I was told to look out for that and that is usually when they will start eating solids. I tried the rice cereal but she threw that up for three days straight but with the baby food she doesnt do even that actually she devoured it.
    CLLeverton

Answer by CLLeverton at 4:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2009