stopped up bathtub and toilet.

We live in an apartment and for about two weeks now our bathtub has been stopped up and our toilet isn't clogged but not everything will go down if you flush it. Even if you flush it 5 times it all won't go down. So I asked my landlord to come take a look at it. I asked three times and he didn't come. He finally came over to get the rent and then I made him look at the toilet. He said my kids must have stuck something down the toilet so I have to take off the toilet and get the toy out and I should find someone who has a snake or something for the bathtub and then left. So, last night my husband took the toilet off and nothing was down there.The bath tub is still clogged and the tpilet still dosn't work. What am I suppose to do? Is it my responsiblity to pay a plumber to come fix it or is it my landlords?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Your septic tank is backed up and you need to call the landlord and explain your kids didnt flush anything and that is is unsanitary to have you live that way. Tell him you believe the tank is backed up and you are calling someone to come fix it and either he can pay it or you will take it off the rent. If he bawks tell him you will call the health dept and ask what their policy on this might be.

Answer by gemgem at 2:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You should not have to take the toilet off, find someone with a snake, etc. That is HIS responsibility, that's what you pay rent for. He can charge you if it were to turn out to be you or your kids fault, I think, but first HE has to figure out what's wrong and fix it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Oh I so hate slum lords. I rented from one for years. Honey, this is what the health dept told me: "do you have someplace else to go, because if we come out there or continue with this conversation your home will be condemned and the landlord may not bring it up to code". I would keep record of everything, call him and tell him that you need him to take care of this or you will and take it off the rent.". You have to have a running toilet and water for a unit to rentable/habitable. He will either fix it or not. IF you have it fixed and take it off your rent, and he tries to kick you out.......you have records of phone calls, his repeated NOT fixing things to code adn you finally taking it into your own hands.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• That is Awful!! I feel for you! We had that once!! It was no Fun living with for sure!! I don't know how old A place you live in is!! How many units & all... Like if its a combination... Sometimes it can be as simple as Air Flow! Something Froze up if you live in A Cold Climate like We do! At times our Septic System Froze up! It Was Nasty & Awful!! Call A couple pumbers & Explain your problem. Try to get some Free Advice & Tips! Call your Local Health & Human Services any Gov. offices any places you see fit! The BBB Bureau. Renters hotline or any United Way organization any place where you can get free Advice as what to do!! Maybe withholding Rent until the problems is Fixed! I hate that you have to live this Way!! Good Luck on Everything!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 4:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2009