How do I get my son to stay in time out?

I have tried and tried and tried to get my son to stay in time out. I will put him in timeout and he gets right back up and I keep putting back in timeout and he gets right back up. Its exhausting.

GILMOREFAN2001

Asked by GILMOREFAN2001 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Stay calm and plenty of  repetition. Don't give in and don't loose your cool. And don't give him anymore attention than needed to put him right back there. Eventually he will see he is not getting the attention he wants so he will stop. Till then, treat yourself to something!

OneLove4Jesus

Answer by OneLove4Jesus at 4:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Put him back, put him back, put him back, put him back, put him back...yeah...it's exhausting, but you have to be consistent.

Other than that....duct tape.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Haha...duct tape. I love it. LOL.
    GILMOREFAN2001

Answer by GILMOREFAN2001 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Recently heard in my house:

"Knock it off before I duct tape you ALL to the wall!"

Yeah....*sigh* They're lucky I don't have any duct tape IN the house sometimes! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i tried the duct tape threat once and my 7yr old (then 5yr old) brought me a roll and said "ok, mom, i'm ready! here's the duct tape!"
    have you tried to stand there to keep him in the time out, dont talk to him, but stand right on top of him
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 3:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• bi-polarmommy...that's when I would have started doing it! (comes off of clothes pretty easily....no, I didn't practice on the kids! LOL)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i thought about doing it, but at the time, the threat was to duct tape him to the celing fan and turn it on! i din't think the fan could hold his weight, so i didn't do it
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 5:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Yeah...ceiling fans aren't built for that kind of weight. Know anyone who could custom make one for you? rofl
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Thanks for the help ladies!
    GILMOREFAN2001

Answer by GILMOREFAN2001 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2009