What if...

Im 35 weeks pregnant. If my water was to break right now what would they do? Would they make me have the baby now?

Jennyv143

Asked by Jennyv143 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes because you are far along for it to be safe.
    Anonymous

• If your water breaks, not leaks, most doctors want to get the baby out within 24 hours or there's an increased risk for infection. Usually 36 weeks is when they won't stop labor once it's started. If they think the babies lungs are underdeveloped they may give you steriod shots to mature them.
    afeggan

Answer by afeggan at 3:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• The baby isn't likely to be engaged and the umbillical cord can prolapse~ a life-threatening danger. You'd probably be induced which is weighing risk options :-( Or have a cesarean. NONE of these are safe, really, so pray it doesn't happen!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I really hope it dosnt happen...Im just curious.
    Jennyv143

Answer by Jennyv143 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If it's a slow leak, a single layer leak, baby's engaged, etc., then it might be something mom must endure. It can even re-seal. Mom must have no vaginal exams, intercourse, or use tampons. She should monitor her temperature and exam the fluid for signs of infection. But she can go for the next two months waiting spontaneous labor. This is called pPROM and does sometimes happen... It doesn't have to be an emergency. :- /
    With a low rupture/gush it could be riskier.

My own rupture was at term (PROM) and no labor. I had to wait and wait...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2009