Breast feeding question

About how long does your baby eat for each feeding? I am new at this and my son seems like he could nurse all day long...um so, lol what is maybe a "normal" nursing time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In the beginning it seemed a big waste of time to even wear a shirt, lol. How old is your son?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I guess my boobs are used to eat or my dd has some good suction, she can drain a boob in 5min. When I pump I get about 5-6 oz from each. Young babies eat very often at about 3mos they start taking more at one time and are satisfied longer.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• 2 things you need.. a boppy pillow and tivo. Stick with it. So many women say how hard BF is, that its such a commitment. Honestly I think its for lazy mommies. I rarely need to wash a bottle. When she's hungry I have everything she needs on tap.....and its green.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It changed over time. At the very beginning, she would go for 7 minutes on each side. This changed into 20 minutes on each side. I got a lot of reading done!!! I don't think that it is so much an issue of the amount of milk or the babies suction (I would pump 10-14 oz.). Think about how little their tummies are! They need to eat all the time to keep that little tummy filled so they can grow and develop. It also is a comfort thing. They LOVE being close to Mommy, so they can smell her and be cuddled by her. Breastfeeding also releases "happy" hormones in them (and us!). I found the My Breast Friend pillow to be so much more effective than the boppy (and it even has a pocket for your remote, a bottle of water, some snacks, and/or your Lansinoh!).
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Somtimes if they sleep to long at night without feeding they eat all day then. My daughters sleeps through the night then eats ALL day long i can't get anyting done lol. Shes 7 weeks old.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 4:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I don't know if there is a "normal!" My little one seemed to nurse constantly at first. I say let her be the guide, sometimes it may only be a couple minutes on each side and sometimes it may be hours. She will let you know how much she needs. When she is nursing, take that time to relax.
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 4:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• There is no normal time. LOL it can take any where from a total of 1 hr or only 5 min. Some times my son is done in only 2or3 min. It's gets better with age as they get more efficient at the breast.
    01buckler15

Answer by 01buckler15 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• At first ds was nursing for 45 min each side every 1-2 hours. Now at 3.5weeks he eats for 15min on one side and is done for 3 hours.
    melyen

Answer by melyen at 1:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2009