how can i change my son sippy cup to a regulr cup with the straw. i tried so many times he would not eat if i change it to a regular cup with the straw.also my son has autism.

zenny1944

Asked by zenny1944 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Both my daughters still have the sippy cup. For a while there I was concerned about my oldest. Thinking she needed a big person cup or even with a straw. She made so many messes that I went back to the sippy. Now with either girls if we're home they use the sippy and when we are out they use other cups. That way they still get some practice and I don't have more stains in my carpet.
    CrystalRhine

Answer by CrystalRhine at 2:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Have you tried the sippy with the straw? My daughter used sippys that had silicone straws. I am no expert on children with Autism, but isn't change always hard for them? The sippy with straws could help by bein a step in the whole procesess of a change.
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 3:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• How about waiting untill he is really really really thirsty. One of the kids I use to teach would only drink out of a red sippy cup until one day it was really hot out and he was very thirsty and god help me the cup was missing. Well, we gave him a regular cup and he was so thirsty he didn't care. He will drink when he get's thirsty enough. Just try it.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2008