Sleeping on tummy

My 6 month old has started rolling over in her sleep and naturally ends up on her tummy, I know when they're younger they're not supposed to sleep on thier tummy because of SIDS, but now that she's 6 months is it okay?

efmeador0709

Asked by efmeador0709 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My pediatrician told me that once my baby started to roll over on his own then it was ok to sleep on his stomach. He did however tell me to still put him down on his back and let him roll himself over if he wanted to.
    beingmommy

Answer by beingmommy at 3:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I AGREE WITH BEINGMOMMY, MY LITTLE GUY HAS SLEPT ON HIS TUMMY SINCE HE WAS ABOUT 4 AND A HALF MONTHS OLD, IT WAS THE ONLY AND I MEAN ONLY THING TO GET HIM TO SLEEP...DOCTOR OKED IT, BUT CONTINUE TO PUT DOWN ON BACK AND IF THEY ROLL OVER ITS OK.
    Anonymous

• I personally wouldn't be ok with it. Babies up to 18 months are at risk of SIDS, I know that sounds too old, and with my kids I didn't worry about it after they were a year old. But after going to a funeral for a 14 month old baby who died of SIDS last year it was the sadest thing I've ever seen. I wouldn't risk it.
    Anonymous

• Once they can roll over, it's damned difficult to stop them unless you're going to watch them all night and roll them back over taking the chance of waking them up.

Once they roll over, yes, the risk is lessened.

Babies up to a year of age are at risk of SIDS, after that it becomes SUDS. (sudden unexplained death syndrome)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Anon: how did you get your kids to stay on their backs? I do put her to sleep on her back but she rolls over on her own, I can't stay up all night making sure she doesn't roll over...
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I was told that once they start rolling onto their tummies it is all right for them to sleep that way, but to persist in putting them down to bed on their backs. The logic is that if they can roll onto their tummies, they can roll off again! I would have had to sit up all night with my baby to keep rolling her onto her back otherwise, which would mean that I would be continuously waking her up and I wouldn't get any sleep either. Sleep positioners are not deemed safe---especially if your baby can move around the way he can. The AAP says: "Although various devices have been developed to maintain sleep position or to reduce the risk of rebreathing, such devices are not recommended, because none have been tested sufficiently to show efficacy or safety."
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2009