Why do people complain about being broke all the time and when they get money, they blow it?

I have never understood this.

If you are broke and you get money go to the grocery store instead of out to eat. How hard is it to figure??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• i guess they figure either way it goes they are broke. i dont know.
    Anonymous

• they keep putting saving off??
    Anonymous

• No idea. I am broke for the first time in several months. My dh lost his job back in June and just got a new one after christmas. We had 7 months of his salary in the bank to live on. I could have blown that I guess it was 14,000 bucks but instead we paid bills, bought food and stayed off the welfare lines. I guess some people just dont have their priorities in order.
    Anonymous

• Because that is the reason most of them are broke. They are ignorant about how to handle money and act like adults.
    Anonymous

• A lot of people live in the moment,and do not understand how to properly manage money. I do not judge though,it is one of my flaws too! I shop too much, but I also work hard and make sure priorities are taken care of first.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We ARE broke. We dont eat out,dont have nice clothes or anything, we ARE on well fare and when we do get a paycheck we pay what bills have to be payed then use whatevers left on groceries, we use cupons and but cheapest brands of essential only type food and still have lots of trouble. my hubby is a construction worker and if its wet or below 40 degrees he cant work and, he hasnt been able to work but 6 days within the last month.
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 4:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Because they can. It is their money and they will spend it as they choose, and it really is none of your business.
    Anonymous

• They stay broke because they haven't learned how to manage money. No matter how much money one has, if they don't know how to manage it they will constantly be broke. Even going to the grocery store people can waste a lot of money too. It's so easy to spend and hard to save and invest.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I'm actually mad at some friend's of my husbands for this very thing. They had $40 to spend on some groceries. He bought bread, PB&J, and spent the rest on a MASSIVE bag of tater tots.

I later walked him through the store, and using the same budget, showed him about 5 full dinners. Some ppl need guidance. This guy is SO BAD with money... and he's cocky and stuck up so he didn't take my advice... but w/e. Live and learn... not my problem.

livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 5:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I don't know the answer to that but I have seen it plenty! My friends (he's active duty military, married, he's 22 she's 19, one 2 year old child) are always complaining they're broke. BUT they own 2 cars (used to be 4 but they managed to sell 2), one of which is a brand new car the other is a 1977 ford truck, 42" LCD tv, $2000 sofa, full blood golden retriever, nice new clothes, just bought a new laptop, parts for guns, but can't afford to put food on the table or pay their bills sometimes. By the end of the pay period they are eating over at our house sometimes because all they might have in their house is some crackers or bread and peanut butter and ramen noodles. Not me, I pay bills and buy food and clothes for my kids, then I can spend what ever is left if I want to.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2009