how do i get my baby to sleep without a bottle?

my little girl will not sleep without a bottle. she won't sleep unless she is being held with a bottle. i know it's bad for her teeth and causes earaches, but i honestly don't know how to break her of the habit. i usually give her a bottle of water at night, which she'll suck on then spit out and go back to sleep. i hoped this would eventually make her stop wanting bottles, but no cigar. i want to try the crying it out method, but at the moment her crib isn't suitable, like she can unlatch the side by shaking it. i'm trying to get rid of that crib and just start having her sleep in a portable playpen, but until then, any suggestions on how to ween her of her bedtime bottle habit?

SpookyJ

Asked by SpookyJ at 1:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't bother. My DD is the same, she wants the comfort of sucking on a bottle at naptime and bedtime. She finds it soothing and it helps her unwind and rest. Since it's just water, it's not a problem for her teeth.
    She's 23 months old and still gets her bottle of water when it's time to sleep. If she gives it up on her own in the coming months, fine. If not, I'll have the "bottle fairy" come and take them away once we are past daytime potty training and she is in a big girl bed - both of which will cause enough stress in her life without adding "bottle battles" to the mix.

If you really want to get rid of them, then cold turkey with crying-it-out is best (and quickest). You can always tie her crib shut so she can't unlatch it by shaking. You'll have to reach further to get her since you won't be able to unlatch it either but it will be safer.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• The best thing to do if you can't get her off is put water in the bottle. That way it will not rot her teeth.
    CrystalRhine

Answer by CrystalRhine at 2:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• If you really want to get rid of them, then cold turkey with crying-it-out is best (and quickest).

I partially agree with this. Although, I don't agree with the full-on cry it out. Just find other ways to soothe her...rock her a few nights, then keep her in bed and pat her back, then just sit next to her bed. I agree that the bottle has to go. Have you tried a sippy cup with a hard spout instead of a bottle? She may not like it, and decide it's not worth it...
    chelli509

Answer by chelli509 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• i have thought of a sippy cup, but i'm afraid she'll drink it too fast and choke. you know how sippies flow faster than bottles...
    i wasn't going to try full on crying it out. i was going to like, lay her in bed, sit right next to the bed until she falls asleepe one night, sit further away the next, and so on until i'm no longer in the room.
    also, thank you for your help. i really appreciate it.
    SpookyJ

Answer by SpookyJ at 5:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2008