if i take maternaty leave at work, and then decide not to come back, do i have to repay the money that i got during maternaty leave?

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 3:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No. Not unless you have a contract and it states this in your contract. :)
    Anonymous

• Nope

Answer by gemgem at 3:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• depends on where the money came from
    disability insurance is yours. if it's something specific to your company they may have their own policies.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 3:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You might. It depends on what is in their policies & procedures manual. I worked for an architecture firm that offered paid maternity leave, but you didn't have to pay anything back if you left afterwards, but I know someone who DID have to pay a portion back when she left her firm b/c it was stated in her P& P manual that she signed upon being hired.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• No. But don't expect a reference when/if you apply a new job sometime in the future!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If its short term disability -- no. Your employer pays into that or you opt in and its your benefit to use. It's not coming out of their pocket. I didn't go back after having my daughter and my employer didn't have any issue. As far as not having a reference - plenty of places understand not being ready to return after 3 months. (or less)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You have to look at your child care leave policy. Make sure that you ask what you may owe depending on what company you are with. I was a teacher when I took my first maternity leave and if I left without finishing my contract, I had to pay back what they paid out for my health care fees. So I went back to work and then took a leave of absence the following year.
    lotusblossom22

Answer by lotusblossom22 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009