Ocular Albinism??

Anyone know of anyone with ocular albinism? My friends had their beautiful baby girl on Christmas day and found out last week that she has it. The doctors told them that both parents had to be carriers of the gene for her to inherit it.... and that it effects how her eyes process light. They told them that she will always have astigmatism and that she will never be able to drive.
I've googled it and read up on it a little more and found that it effects 1 in every 50,000. And that children with ocular albinism can go on to lead perfectly normal, independent lives and can excel in normal classroom settings. I guess I was just wondering if anyone on here knew someone personally and can give me a more personal interpretation of it and what she will face in the future.

Thanks

LacieT84

Asked by LacieT84 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• my sister has this. most people with ocular albinism also are color blind and may have night blindness (she has both). she wears sunglasses alot, as she gets headaches from bright lights. she did well in school, it did not get in the way of her education. this is almost never present in girls, its almost exclusive to boys, girls usually have milder symptoms. the form she has is called forsius-eriksson syndrome, and as far as i know this is the only kind that girls have. my sister is soon to be 25 and is leading a fairly normal life, she does have a flashlight for at night so she can see.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 9:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2009