Beware, this is a poop question...

My little one started solids within the past month. She eats rice cereal, bananas, and apple sauce. The past two days she seems to be straining to poop. Last night she was crying as she strained and she had two semi-solid turds, way different than what we are used to. Is she constipated? Is this hurting her? We have upped her applesauce intake, versus the more constipating bananas and rice ceral. Is this what her poop will be like from now on, since she is eating solids? Before it was soft and more liquidy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh goodness mama! Remember the ABC rule? The three things that constipate a baby most are Applesauce, bananas, and cereal. Apple juice releives constipation, not sauce. Try some smashed avacado, sweet potato, or squash.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• baby food prunes!! Works great!
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• She's constipated. My son eats a ton of solids, but his poop is more the consistancy of peanut butter. Try giving her apple juice.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• The consistency will change now that she's on solids, becoming more solid and formed (think about what your own looks like---gross, I know!). Make sure that she's still getting a lot of liquids. Remember that solids are supposed to SUPPLEMENT, not replace breast milk or formula. The prunes will definitely help, but so will adding some veggies to her diet. Sweet potatoes are a wonder food! I'd work on adding some veggies to her diet rather than more fruit so that she starts to expect a variety of tastes that are not just sweet like fruit.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Pears have the same affect as prunes so you might want to consider getting her some pear baby food.
    Anonymous

• ask your pedi about putting olive oil in her rice cereal. My neighbors pedi suggested doing this because it adds fat and nutrients to the cereal but also help relieve constipation.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 4:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2009