Advice on Crying it out?

I was hoping to get other mothers advice on the Crying it out method. My son just turn six months old and my doctor says that I should let him start crying it out, this way he can soothe himself back to sleep and sleep through the night. I feel this is the best move for me but I am so nervous about it. I hate to hear my little one cry. My son does use a pacifier while he sleeps. I would love to hear back from mothers who have used this method. Did it work? How did you do it? How long did it take. I know every child is different but I am just looking for different types of advice. Thank you!

Julie0039

Asked by Julie0039 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i just did this with my son and we decided it was time to start with him when we noticed that being in there with him trying to get him to sleep seemed to be keeping him up. so we just started puting him in there and saying godnight and laying him down, then leave the room and let him cry for a little while, then go back in and lay him down again. everyone else told me this only took them three days, but with my boy it took a bit longer. he still sometimes crys for a minuit when we put him down, but not always, and i really has made things easier on all of us. we did the same thing after he got used to that with middle of the night crying as well. one thing to remember is a cryin baby is a breathin baby! its tough but it works
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 3:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We used the CIO method when my little one was 7 months old. He also used a pacifier. We would lay him down and then go back in 10 min later. Give him his pacifer and lay him back down. Do not pick him up just lay him back down tell him you love him and walk out. My little one only cried the first 3 nights and the longest he cried was 15 min. It was not horrible. He sleeps through the night and was much happier.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 3:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would never let my baby cry it out. Please check out this article (and all of it's references) on why crying it out is harmful to babies.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/handout2.asp
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My son is 9 months old and is now soothing himself back to sleep. We tried to let him cry it out around 7 months and neither him nor I was ready for it and after about 10 minutes I caved! About 2 weeks ago I noticed that he was getting up at a certain point of the night and wanting me to hold him for him to sleep and then I was going without sleep. we put him to sleep and then put him in his crib, he woke up and i went him gave him his binky, laid him down, told him night and i loved him and left the room. after about 10 minutes he was back to sleep. After that he really doesn't get up during the night anymore unless its to search for him binky. That 10 minutes was the worse time I ever had but both of us are now sleeping better during the night. I play lullibies at night softly just to keep him calm.
    ashleydawn3830

Answer by ashleydawn3830 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My advice would be not to do it. Try the book The No Cry Sleep Solution. It works wonders.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Great article (dr. sears above). I am going to let my mother-in-law read it! Ha! I never could let my son cry it out. I let him sleep with me and he sleeps through the night because he feels safe and secure. That's the best thing I have found. And I know this is not what the question asker was asking for. . .sorry!
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I tried CIO ONCE. It didn't work for us. I don't have the heart to leave him alone to cry.
    And that 'self soothing' bs is crap.

Even adults need help soothing every now and then.

If you hate to hear your son cry, this method is not for you. But you need not fret! It's not the only method! There are plenty and I'm sure you'll find one that works for your child.
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Hi! My son is also 6 mo. old. He was co-sleeping with me, but he is such a light sleeper that I have moved him just 4 days ago into his crib. I got this book called the baby whisperer, by Tracy Hogg. It is a pretty good book, that teaches you this technique called Pick-up/ put down. It takes time and effort but it has been very helpful in getting him used to sleeping in his crib. i have tried to let him CIO but it was very hard for me to hear him cry, he sounded desperate. Anyways, with the Pick Up/ Put Down method your baby will cry but it is not like the CIO by himself way. I find it ALOT more bearable this way. 1st you have to put baby on a routine. She tells you how to do this by using the E_A_S_Y Method. i hope this helps you as I said I am only on day 4, but life is getting better.
    luoja

Answer by luoja at 5:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My advice is that you need to do what is going to work best for YOU and YOUR child. You will see pros and cons on both sides, but ultimately as "mommy" you have a sense to your child better than anyone else.
    For me I uses CIO and it worked perfectly for my family and my children are well adjusted, functioning, happy children now CIO and all. With my children i checked all the "necessities", loved on them and then put them down. They didn't always cry, but when they did I would keep an eye on the time and after so much I would check on them again- depending on the cry. If it sounded like they were winding down I let them be. If they were angry I would go in and love them some more and then put them back down. In time they learned they couldn't demand my time with crying, but also knew that they were cared for.
    lanimommy81

Answer by lanimommy81 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• And on a personal note CIO it was good for me too. I am not a co-sleeping, hold them all the time kind of mom- I'd have lost my mind and that wouldn't have been good for anyone. Plus understanding that I could let them CIO meant that I didn't fight feeling guilty when I had to "walk away" when frustrated or angry either because I had "trained" us both to know that "mommy not holding you right now" doesn't mean I don't love you, it means not now.
    I hope you find the balance that works for you. And I also hope that whatever your decision you don't the "neigh-sayers" get to you.
    lanimommy81