I don't know what to do? on going IEP/school issues???

Both of my boys are on IEP's. One for seizure activity and the other for speech/language issues (diagnosed recently with receptive/expressive disorder). In regards to my son with the speech issue, the school can only do the accommodations the dr. instructed is in a resource room. The washington law states that a child is not to be removed from the general classrooms solely because of needed modifications in the general curriculum. They want me to sign the IEP soon to approve him going into resource room for 5th grade 3 days a week for academics, even thou he passed the WASL test in reading and writing, and was 7 points off from passing math. I need help and guidance on how to handle these IEP problems.

Annetteg

Asked by Annetteg at 3:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You either have to remove him from the IEP or send him to resource. Keep him on the IEP as long as you can, it really is to the childs benefit. My son who will graduate this year has been on one since kinder, he has a speech /language comprehension disorder. Resource isn't going to harm your son, but taking him off the IEP might, taking him off will make it very difficult down the raod to get help if any problems arise, but if he has the IEP you can fight tooth an nail to get the help he might need.

My son passes a lot of the test technically but is nowhere ready to be completely mainstreamed. Why is going to the resourse room such a big issue?.....curious.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I understand your concern, but I would definitely look into exactly what the resource room has to offer. In my district, I have taught in the resource room many times and even though I graduated at the head of my class, I can honestly say if they had put me in an environment like that I would have been much more dedicated to my studies, I would have learned a lot more, I would have been held more accountable for my work and progress, and would have had the full benefit of school rather than just coasting through.

In my district there are 2 teachers for about 10-15 kids, every text book used in the building is down there so the teachers can help one on one, the teachers know what the assignments are for every student, and the breaks and lunch are all with the rest of the student body. Check out what yours actually does for the students.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• The school district doesn't like to let parents know but they can put you in touch with a parent advocate who has been through what you are dealing with and usually has contacts in the community who can help you.
    Anonymous

• my son also has an IEP for speech. DO not sign anything your not comfortable with. ANy changes you agree too will be set in stone. Can you ask that they allow your son on a trial basis do the resource room to see if your both happy with the changes before you sign his new IEP? Can you also see if they'll allow you to be present for his first few sessions to see what exactly is being done?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 13, 2009