How can I stop my DD from wanting a bottle at bedtime?

DD is totally on a sippy cup all day long, but is in the habit of having a bottle at night... Suggestions on how to wean her off of this?

Georgie212

Asked by Georgie212 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give her a sippy instead. You said it...it's a habit.

Once rid of the bottle, then you can start working on the milk (or whatever you put in it? lol)...we actually used to do a snack a couple hours before bedtime...a little food and a little milk.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Don't give in. Yeah I know that sounds harsh, but it helps in a few ways. One, you are allowing a bad habbit to be created. Two, unless her teeth are brushed after her bottle at bed time, tooth decay is a factor. And another reason I wouldn't suggest giving a bottle or a cup at bed time would be when it comes time to potty train, you don't want accidents in bed.

We do not give our's anything to drink at least one hour before bed.

Sure they fight you on it at first, but remember you are the parent and you are setting the standard. Sure she will try to get her way, possibly crying or sleeping... Just be patient, clam, even toned and do not give in.

Also, I would get rid of all bottles if she is already on the sippy cup.
    OneLove4Jesus

Answer by OneLove4Jesus at 4:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We just went through this...and I mean within the last month. It is very hard but you have to do it. You just give her a sippy cup and explain that she is a big girl and doesn't need bottles anymore. (But he has his "bed time milk" after his tubby, and then we brush his teeth, and then we settle down and read books. It is usually about 45mins to an hour before he goes to bed. ) There is probably going to be some protest for maybe a couple of days (maybe not) and then soon she will forget all about the bottles. But, you have to throw them away so she doesn't see them or you don't give in!!! That is a huge mistake my sister made! She kept the bottles in a cupboard and her daughter saw them!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 4:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Throw the bottle away. It takes a couple of times but then the bad habit is replaced by a newly learned habit. I just stopped using a bottle with Kaitlynn altogether. She is 10 months old and has been off the bottle for a month successfully. At first it was rough at night but now she is good.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 4:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Give her a sippy, and take the bottle. Its all about you being a tough momma. If you dont want her to have it you have to remove it. She may cry, but it will get easier. I know its hard but you can do it. Good luck!!
    Mother2oneboy

Answer by Mother2oneboy at 4:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It's one of those things that you just gotta take away. Might be harsh, but for me...it was the hardest thing I ever had to do to my 1 y/o. He got over it quick.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• With my son I had him through away his last bottle and we made a big deal about it we all said bye-bye to the bottle and then we went and he got a new sippy that he picked for bed time. and we did just water in his sippy so he didn't have the sugar on his teeth.
    X-mansmommy870

Answer by X-mansmommy870 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2009