would you like to petition the resale law?

Here's a link to the site http://www.rallycongress.com/make-second-hand-kids-clothes-legal-/1471/view_all/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a press release clarifying a law that goes into effect Feb. 10. Before this clarification, it appeared that all children's products would be required to undergo expensive lead testing, including secondhand items and items that were unlikely to contain lead.
    This testing will not be required on used children's items, a move that is sure to bring a huge sigh of relief to panicked thrift store and consignment store owners everywhere.
    It will still be illegal to sell items that are found to 600 parts per million (ppm) total lead, making it advisable to take items off the shelf, or pay for testing.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.htm
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Why would we petition making our kids safer?
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 4:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I already petitioned it but that was before I read what the first poster just posted, lol. I'm glad to hear they've changed it a bit. I love garage sales and thrift stores. You can find all kinds of things there!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I agree with Lanasmom. Why? I am looking forward to this. It means I can go to a store and buy my daughter's clothes without having to buy clothing that has no zippers, no buttons, no decals that could contain lead. I won't have to worry about does this toy or that toy contain lead, will we have to return it when they recall it? And since it doesn't affect thrift stores and resale shops, its fine because people who need to can still use those shops to buy their kids clothes and people who shop new won't have to worry about lead as much. It's a great move to protect our kids. Info from nlm.nih.gov on lead poisoning: Lead is especially dangerous for children. A child who swallows large amounts of lead may develop anemia, severe stomachache, muscle weakness and brain damage. Even low levels of lead are linked to lower IQ scores
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2009