Eating bad/spoiled food hurt the baby?

Im 5mo pregnant...
Last night I posted I had a baked potato with butter, sour cream, and cheese & a 1/2 sandwich with chopped beef & sauce.... About 5min later my upper stomach swelled up, burned (like fire!), and cramped like Ive never felt before --it felt like I was about to pop & fire would come shooting out my stomach... DH gave me tums, but it didnt help any.. and then about 5hrs later I threw up (massively!).. I felt a lot better & was able to relax. Today my belly is just a bit sore & recovering but Im fine now..

The baby has been moving as normal & all.. But Im curious if whatever I ate last night could have any effect on the baby? Or hurt him at all?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yuck! That sounds awful! I'm sure he's fine in his little cocoon!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2011

• I'm not sure the food was bad (not saying it wasn't!) but, typically, with food poisoning, you're going to vomit a lot more than once. I had it when I was pregnant with my second and I did have to go in to the hospital but because I was dehydrated, not because of the food. I think baby will be fine :)
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 2:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2011

• I think baby should be fine. Your body is going to do its best to protect him.

When I was about 7 months along with my first I caught a stomach bug and was so sick I couldn't keep water down. I was hospitalized for the vomiting and dehydration and it took 6 bags of fluids to get me stable. The baby was just fine. In fact, he is about to turn 14 and is pretty much the smartest person I know.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:42 AM on Dec. 30, 2011